Chapter 2:

*David's POV*

It was dark. Dark, bleak, and empty.

Until it wasn't.

I woke up to the sounds of hospital monitors beeping loudly in my ear. My head was wrapped up, and my right arm had a cast. The room wasn't anything special, although there was a small bunch of dandelions and weeds in a small plastic cup over on the counter.

The nurse walked into the room with a clipboard and pen in hand. "David Hall?"

"That's me," I said, groggily.

"Hello, David. We're glad that you've finally woken up."

"How long was I out?"

"About a week and a half." An entire week? How hard was I hit? And where is everyone?

"Where are Gwen and Max?"

"They're both out in the waiting room. The little one hasn't left the building at all. Poor thing was worried sick about you."

Max? I thought. And then it hit me. MAX!! I jolted forward, my head throbbing.

"Hey, easy. You have a few head injuries and a broken arm. You're going to need to stay here for at least 5-7 days. Try to relax."

"Can I at least see them?"

A few moments later

I felt myself slowly start to drift off. My head was pounding, making it hard for me to concentrate. I couldn't feel my right arm very well, but when I could, it was sore. Very sore.

As I was about to fall asleep, I saw a blur of blue out of the corner of my eye. Then a blur of green.

"Max! Gwen!" I smiled. Gwen walked over beside me and gave me a fist bump with my left hand. Max just stayed in the doorway, wide eyed. His vibrant green eyes stared at me from across the room. He didn't move a muscle. Mr. Honeynuts was grasped firmly in his dangling hand.

"Hey. How 'ya holding up?" Gwen asked.

"A bit sore, well, everywhere," I chuckled, and winced at some pain in my temples.

"Hey, Max," He was still staring at me. "You doing alright, kiddo?"

Max slowly started to take a step forward from the door frame. Then another. And another. His pace grew faster and faster, as a smile started to grow on his face. Faster and faster, until he was almost running towards me, a big wide grin on his face.

"DAVID, YOU SON OF A BITCH! WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING?" Max shouted, tears welling in his eyes, still maintaining a small smile.

"Yeesh, easy, Max. He's a bit sensitive right now." Gwen whispered.

"I SWEAR TO GOD, IF SOMETHING HAPPENED TO YOU I'D FUCKING LOSE IT. DON'T YOU EVER PULL THAT SHIT AGAIN, YOU HEAR ME, IDIOT?" He clearly didn't listen. Max's knuckles grew white and began to tremor as he firmly gripped the armrest of my hospital bed.

"I hear you, Max," I laughed. He looked up at me. Max's eyes were always really nice; a bright, minty green. Even with the slight bags under his eyes, I was happy to see them shine again. "How are you doing, bud?"

"Shit, thanks for asking." He rolled his eyes. "You were out for almost 2 weeks, you son of a bitch. Maybe don't get yourself into fights you know you most likely won't win?"

"Max, you know I couldn't just sit there and watch you get taken away by those... those..."

"Assholes?" Gwen offered.