.1 standards

***

"You're just weird."

"Why is it suddenly weird to have standards?" I asked, reaching for my glass of water. 

"Standards aren't weird. Your standards, however, are super weird." She had a way of making eye contact with me even when I refused to meet her gaze. "Sometimes I wonder if you even want a boyfriend."

I rolled my eyes. Truth be told, I didn't want a boyfriend, or any partner for that matter. But Giselle was often boyfriend-obsessed and nosy, very nosy. She wanted to know everything about my love life, and had been like that since we were teenagers. 

"I like being alone sometimes," I replied halfheartedly, focusing on my water to evade Giselle's observant detective eyes. 

"I know you do but trust me, Nance. Don't you want to get married someday?"

"Who said anything about getting married?" She knew about my fear of commitment and often used that as a catalyst to restart her 'get Nancy out on the town' initiative. 

"What about this, girly," she started.

Oh God, here we go.

"What if, and hear me out, Townes, you just let me set you up with a friend of mine?"

"Absolutely not."

"Why not?"

"Because I don't want to.." My voice trailed off. 

"Oh right. 'Cause God forbid you go on a *gasp* second date!" Her voice was loud as she pretended to faint, holding her hand to her head dramatically. 

She was right, I had never been on a second date before. I had never liked someone enough to see them again I guess. This, for reasons I will never understand, fascinated Giselle.

I started to  get up off the kitchen barstool. "I'm happy being on my own," I said, only stopping in front of her to stick my tongue out playfully. While her eyes continued to roll, I raced down the hall to my room before she could say anything else.

***