ten - christmas eve intimacy

h.s

“I can’t believe I’m really twenty-four! This is not sinking in, someone cue the depressing music!” Louis rambled on, and I could evidently hear the two girls giggling.

“Louis, really?” Minty Rose spoke with her soft, and beautiful voice, making my heart flutter. But at the same time I was being pulled into this black void by hearing her voice. It was so beautiful and clear and every time she spoke I just felt like it was a light in the darkness, but the thing about darkness is that it’s overpowering and I knew even I couldn’t resist it’s temptation for much longer.

“Harry, stop it. Stop looking at her that way!” A voice hissed in the back of my head and I knew who it was, it was the girl who had been breaking me down since day one. Emerald Ash. She’d been the one who had been pulling me into this void, this darkness. The reason I never slept anymore because I dreamt of her haunting blue eyes, the reason I couldn’t eat because her voice rung in my ear reminding me that I couldn’t because I didn’t deserve it, the reason I was so afraid of saying something out of my place because Emerald Ash’s voice would remind me how absolutely fucking dumb I really was.

I bit my lip, trying to suppress her, but it was getting harder and harder with every minute that passed. I gazed quickly to Minty, and a small smile spread onto my face. She looked so content I liked it.

“Okay,” the robotic voice came from my iPod, “is Harry just going to stare at Minty all the time,” with the mention of that, Minty Rose’s cheeks went a bright pink, “or are we actually going to do something?”

I nodded, “we are,” I said and a grin spread onto Anna’s face, “Louis, time?”

“About eight,” he looked to the iPod in Anna’s hands, “a.m that is.”

“How does coffee sound?” I asked and Anna nodded, Louis smiled and I figured it was a yes.

I could vaguely remember where everything was located, the month in the institution really messed with my brain; it felt good to be out again. To be fairly normal again, driving to a coffee shop at eight in the morning like a normal adolescent would. I pulled the car to a stop in front of the petite coffee shop, Minty smiled.

“I haven’t been here in so long,” she smiled nostalgically as she stepped out. She took my hand in hers and I didn’t mind because at that moment it felt like Minty Rose’s hand fit perfectly in mine.

Louis opened the door, practically strutting inside of the place. I had always admired his confidence, he was never afraid to speak his mind or do whatever the hell he wanted. I had always wished I had that confidence, I wondered how he could do it? I came to the conclusion that Louis didn’t have a voice ringing in his head reminding him how much of a failure he was, but then again, didn’t we all have a voice that little bitchy voice always yelling at you when you do something wrong?

“God, damn! You spilled the glass.”

“I can’t believe you did that! Stupid, stupid, stupid!”

We all had our problems and I felt conceited having thoughts that somehow I was more insane that he was. We were all insane, and not the good, romanticized insane. The type to have you locked up. Everyone always had this fascination with insanity that it was some or other love aspect. That love was insane that it was totally insane to fall in love. And I agreed, but insanity wasn’t all sunshine and singsongs. It was a dark forest, which had you bound in its wake forever. People with similar diseases who had reached insanity surround you; we just all had different degrees of it. Nonetheless, we were insane, and not the good kind. The kind they keep you locked up for.