24: him

My mouth opened and closed, as I struggled to find words.

Did he mean it?

Taehyung looked at me, with unapologetic eyes as he waited for my response.

I felt tears gather in my eyes, and I quickly looked down.

"Um, okay." I said, putting space between the words awkwardly.

"Thank you." I added, afterwards, an attempt to fill the uncomfortable silence in the room.

What was I supposed to say in situations like these? He couldn't confess like that out of nowhere, I'd been completely blindsided.

"Uh, I promised Jungkook I would meet him." I lied, before sprinting out of the apartment.

He didn't come after me, so I sat outside, leaning against the brick wall.

The red rock tugged at my hair, but I ignored it, trying to catch my breath.

As I breathed in and out, I couldn't get the hurt look on Taehyung's face out of my mind.

I was expecting an apology after my rage session, not a confession.

I fumbled around in my pocket, searching for my phone to text Jungkook.

-

"What did he say to you?" Jungkook asked, shock apparent in his tone as he set down the glass in his hand, his eyebrows etched together in concern.

It all felt so quick.

I'd strewn myself across Namjoon's couch, my face buried in my arms as I breathed in the oaky scent of his furniture.

I didn't answer, to which Jungkook took great offense.

"Don't you think fleeing his apartment was a bit, melodramatic?" He added, his tone short.

"Jungkook, I didn't come here to be interrogated." I answered, my voice muffled.

It was silent, and I could tell he was pondering whether he should continue or not.

Smart kid- he chose the latter.

Namjoon sat in the corner of the room, leaned up against the concrete wall as he listened, amused by our conversation.

His eyes were shut, but the amused smirk on his lips told me he was far from asleep.

Of course, I'd spared the details of Taehyung's outburst- it all seemed a bit, private.

"Leave her be, Jungkook." Namjoon finally sighed out, attracting both Jungkook and I's attention to him.

His eyes were now open, but contrary to the signature smile on his lips, his eyes contained concern and unease.

He stood up, folding his hands behind his back, before padding out of the room silently.

Once he'd gone, Jungkook imitated him with a mocking tone.