Chapter 1: Hunt

Something in her mind was screaming at her as the muffled but loud sirens and honking cars continued to drown her being. The busyness of Seoul was nothing new as she's been living in the big city all through her life. Still, the instincts that their family developed over the decades or even centuries in order to survive were blaring at her like a fire alarm. It was only annoying the girl, however, especially when she wants nothing but sleep at the moment. With the vexing feeling slowly getting on her nerves, she curled up inside her warm duvet, trying to block more sound which was dragging her further away from the slumber she very much desires. It was half-past nine in the evening but her body refuses to rest as it stays alert despite the girl begging otherwise.

She sighed in submission.

I need to go.

It did not take a lot of time for the girl to get up from her bed as she immediately changed from her sleepwear to something more comfortable to move; a black jacket bigger than her size, white v-neck tee wrapping her slim body tucked in her black skinny jeans and black low-cut sneakers.

"You're going to hunt tonight?" A familiar worried voice rang inside the house which stopped the girl who was quietly descending down the stairs from her tracks.

Hunting... It was simply a term they use when they're off to weed out atrocious criminals whose blood flowing in their disgusting veins are as cold as ice, darker than soot, and more rotten than a carcass. It could make the girl throw up just by thinking about their sickening and inhumane behavior toward their innocent victims.

She instinctively gritted her teeth in anger.

I can't let it escape... that thing that disturbed my peace.

She faced the worried figure and smiled innocently, hiding her warped emotions from being seen by her protective friend, "Oh. Welcome home, unnie."

"...thanks. I bought you some stuff but anyways..." The girl in front of her was frowning, showing a look of disapproval with her dark brown eyes reflecting nothing but sadness.

She knew the girl in front of her too much, knew that despite that angelic facade of hers, the dangerous glint on the younger's orbs could only mean one thing...

...blood.

"You're going again?"

"I have a feeling that I should, Chaeyeon-unnie."

"Isn't it about time for us to stop, Minjoo?"

"Unnie..." She shot the older girl an apologetic look to which the other only sighed at.

"...guess not. It's only been two weeks since you last went on a hunt but here you are again." Chaeyeon only shook her head in compliance knowing how the younger girl won't budge when she makes up her mind. "I'll go to Saku-chan's room and talk to her."

Getting her consent, a bright smile painted Minjoo's pretty face which made Chaeyeon chuckle lightly.

"Now, now. By the way, you should change your hair color for now." She pointed out Minjoo's light pink hair, her eyebrows were raised in both amusement and irony. "It won't be good if you went out like that. We all know how much you catch attention just because of that silly color. You're like a literally walking highlighter."

Minjoo pouted at her elder's remark, "I am not a freaking highlighter, unnie!"

"Yeah, right. And here," Chaeyeon threw the black cap she was wearing at Minjoo, "...use this to hide your face. If ever, we'll try assisting as soon as you ask so don't hold back, okay? Just don't hurt yourself."