Chapter 8: Choices

Chaewon maneuvered her car as she pulled over to park at the empty space in front of a simple but classy cafe. Entering the place, she was immediately embraced by the tempting scent of nutty coffee and pastries with the lingering woody smell of the shop's signature organic furniture. She walked by the aisle and stood in front of the counter, unaware of the menacing air she was giving off which startled the cashier. Her eyes silently scanned the menu before she nonchalantly ordered a serving of green tea smoothie despite the cold, rainy weather outside as well as some snacks. Turning around to look for a seat, Chaewon found a familiar pair with bright hair colors chilling beside the wall where there were paintings and pictures of local artists. They were drinking something warm, which she could guess from afar as either a cup of hot chocolate or tea.

As if feeling someone's eyes on them, one of the two looked up, meeting her eyes. The blonde-haired girl was flabbergasted, earning the attention of the other in front of her so the lavender-haired girl also turned her head only to get as shocked as the former.

"Ch-Chaewon-sunbaenim?" The blonde with fluffy pinkish cheeks stuttered.

She gave them a small, discreet smile. "Fancy meeting you here, Nako, Hitomi."

The two couldn't help but give her a curt and polite bow as a response, shy smiles adorning their cute faces.

"It's okay, no need to be too formal. Don't mind me. I only came here to relax. You should continue what you guys were doing."

The pair of juniors gave her an awkward nod as they hesitantly gave her a confused look before they went back to what they were doing.

Chaewon spun on her heels, headed towards the corner-most seat near the window where she could get a good view of the people scurrying about as the tiny drops of water still fell down from the looming lead-colored clouds over the entirety of the city.

She looks at the darker shade of wet concrete and the equally grey buildings as well as brightly-colored ones, even the people passing by without knowing they were being observed by her pair of chocolate orbs.

She likes watching the monotonous view.

Maybe it was boring for others but for her, seeing how alive the city was sort of made her feel like a simple high school girl, someone who lives a simple life free from any negativity — someone she isn't in reality. She didn't remember when she started seeking things which could make her feel like an ordinary person but before she knew it, observing busy people in silence became a habit. Her sharp eyes studied every person passing by, from an old couple sweetly helping each other walk through the now lighter rain with smiles on their faces to some adults in suits who were walking briskly as they wore tired expressions after a whole day of brain-melting work. Even as her order was served to her, she had never torn her eyes from the window. She constantly watched everything serenely, sometimes taking small bites from her slice of cake or munching on the cookies her juniors insistently gave her before they left.

Before she knew it, the twilight had long gone and the city was already illuminated by the beautiful street lights as the darkness threatened to embrace its busyness. She had spent the past few hours drowning in the suffocating thoughts of her past as well as the possibilities that could happen after tonight and more than anything, Minjoo, Minjoo, and Minjoo.

The images of the girl had been invading her thoughts ever since she met her, her presence quickly creeping in the crack of the facade that formed when she was almost attacked by a sick guy. Spending time with Minjoo had just made Chaewon live, that feeling of the familiar beating of her heart as if she ran a marathon was just so, so warm and just... fulfilling.

Glancing at her wristwatch once again, she saw its short finger almost pointing at seven while its long finger pointed at the middle of nine and ten. Six forty-eight post meridiem. As there are only twelve minutes left until the designated time, Chaewon rose from her seat to go to the alley she very much dreaded yet the warm squeezes of her heart made her at ease as the figure of a pink-haired girl triumphed over anything in her mind, making her smile to herself.