Chapter 3

"Want to come over, we have milk and cookies? Hannah asked Dustin. Her small hand was grasping his hand tightly.

"Hannah, I'm sure he has things to do."

"I can take a break." His eyes smiled back at me.

"Then come." She drags him into our house. He didn't seem to mind.

"You don't have to...I say but he's already whisked in by Hannah.
I close the front door and follow them into the kitchen.

"Uh...hey! Did you gain a new kid?
Ellie eyes over our new neighbour. Her eyes were bulging out of her head. Yes, she is happily married but why can't we appreciate a sexy man?

"No, this is our new neighbour."

"Ah, hey. I'm Ellie, I live next door on the other side of Hayley." She smiles and extends her hand to him.

"Pleasure to meet you, I'm Dustin, " he shakes her hand.

"Likewise, I should get going. Jace is still up in his room. He hasn't come out." Ellie says looking at me with worry.

"Okay, thank you," I say with appreciation.

"Bye." She says giving me an apologetic look, with a subtle wink at me, saying I know you want to jump his bones look.

"Let's go girls." She waves her girls over from the couch were they were playing. They wave goodbye to Kenndy and Hannah.

"Bye, girls, see you soon." I wave at them.

"It's like a zoo of kids in here. I'm guessing Jace is a child and not an animal?

His eye brow raised at the corner.

"Yes, he's my son."

"Is he sick? He asked with concern.

"No, he's grounded and suspended from school." I say as a pit of angst and tension build deep inside me.

"What did he do? He asks curiously as he leans against the counter with his arms crossed over his broad chest. His large biceps bulged against the sleeves of his shirt. He was very fit.

"He got in a fight and broke a kids nose." I look at the floor as tears threaten to fill my eyes.

"Damn...he said in a quiet exhale.
He seems sincere.

"Yeah! I nod my head as I wipe my tears.

"I see you're just telling everyone about what happened. Nice mom, you can't keep your fucking mouth shut."

Jace screams at me. I am completely embarrassed and uncomfortable now with Dustin witnessing this horrid behaviour.

"Watch your mouth." My voice shakes out of me. I've tried everything with him; time out, grounding, taking things away, yelling, screaming which doesn't help either of us. I'm out of options.

"That wasn't nice man," Dustin speaks up.

"Who the hell are you? Jace fires at Dustin.

"That's it, Jace, back in your room."
I yell at him.

"Fuck you! He screamed at me.

"Room, now! I point to the stairs. My face was completely red and I am mortified that Dustin has just witnessed this.

"He said bad words," Hannah says.

"I'll be back." I press my fingers to my throbbing head. I turn and leave the kitchen and head upstairs.
I swing Jace's door open in anger. I slam it behind me.