Chapter 7

Harper (Ava) POV

Morning comes too soon as I reach for my alarm and slam my hand on the wretched sound blasting in my ear.

The blaring buzzing filled the room with an irritating sound. I sit up, my hair falls forward, covering my face in disarray strands of my messy bedhead.

I dragged my tired body around my bedroom, doing my morning routine showing, and getting dressed. I got the kids up dressed and ready for the day.

I filled three bowls with cheerios and milk. I slid them over on the counter with spoons sitting in them, waiting for little hands to grab one.

"Thanks." Savi smiled as she accepted the bowl.

"Ta ta." Kenedi tugged on my pant leg.

"Welcome, girls."

I took Kenedi over to her seat at the table.

I look at Jace, and his head is down, and he doesn't look at me or say a word. "You're welcome, Jace..."

"..." He doesn't acknowledge me with even eye contact or a nod. Just silence.

I blow out a frustrated breath as I make myself a smoothie. "So, Jace. Dustin said you could hang out with him today."

Maybe this would cheer him up hanging out with a guy.

But all I get as a response is, "oh." It was flat and none emotional.

"He's going to take you to the center to check it out."

"Sounds fun," Jace said sarcastically with a sneer as he turned and headed back upstairs.

"Get dressed, then go over," I stated.

He just stomped off upstairs.

I just shook my head as I sipped my smoothie. Fûck! I pushed it off to the side, not feeling hungry—

Buzz buzz

My phone vibrated on the counter. I glance and see it's Jessica.

Text: Want to grab a coffee, then head to the park?

Text: Absolutely. Meet you at the Steamed cup?

Text: See you then?

I put my phone down. As I clean Kenedi's face, I hear a knock at the door. I walk over and answer it.

"Morning, neighbor?" Damn, even still, he made my heart move in a different way when he was around.

"Hey. Come on in." I moved out of the way and let him come in.

His eyes stayed on me, "how was your night?"

"Fine," I replied.

He nudged me, making me smile. "Liar."

"Dustin!!" Savi ran over with a bright smile, happy to see him.

"Hey, girls."

Kenedi screened in her high chair, reaching for him. "Da da." She squeezed, kicking her legs loudly.

"Hey, sweetie." Dustin runs his hand through Savi's hair. Then he walked over to Kenedi and picked her up. She encircled her arms around his neck like a rope. I teared up at his attentiveness to them. He was so sweet to someone else's kids. He didn't owe them or me a thing, and here he was, giving them his time and attention.

"Where's Jace??" He asked, looking around

"He's getting ready."

"Ok. So any plans today?"