Chapter-4

I run out of the house with Kendi in my arm and Hannah clutched to my hand. My heart was pounding.
I call out his name...but there was no reply.

"Jace?? This isn't funny if your hiding you need to come out now! My voice was shaky my knees felt weak. I started walking down the street calling his name.

"Come on Jace? I hadn't heard anyone come up into I feel a hand on my shoulder. I jumped out of my skin feeling frantic.

"Shit." I yelp as I turn and see Dustin.

"Sorry. Do you need help? He offers.

I...I can't find Jace." I mumbled, talking like this can't be real.

"Is there somewhere he wound go? Dustin asked.

"I don't know he's never left before on his own." My lip was starting to tremble, my stomach was a mass of uneasiness and anxiety.

"I'm sure he's around here somewhere."

My phone interrupted us. I pull it out of my pocket. I swear under my breath when I see Lances name flash across the screen. Fück...
I slide the answer button across the screen.

                ~Conservation~

Hayley: "Hello? I clear my nervous apprehensive voice.

Lance: Hey, Look, I'm sorry about earlier. Can I talk to Jace?

Hayley: "He's gone." My voice fades off.

Lance: "What?

Hayley: "He's gone, I've looked all over the house, he's not there." I whimper.

Lance: "What the hell Hayley, you lost Jace? How could you? All you have to do is keep him safe and you can't even do that right. You are a shitty mother "
His words penetrate my heart, hammering at my already fragile heart that was in pain. I wanted to scream and yell. I just wish Jace was here.

I get another incoming call.

Harley: "I gotta go, I'll call you back."
I say before I switch over. He was swearing at me as I ended the call. I clear my voice as I answer the other caller.

Hayley: Hello?

Officer Bradford: Hello, is this Ms. Hayley Collins? A deep authoritative voice rattles in my ear.

Hayley: "Yes...that's me." My voice vibrated with fear.

Officer Bradford: "My name is officer Reece Bradford. I have your son Jace here with me, he's ok but he's been caught shoplifting."

What the hell? This kid is going to be the death of me. My heart pounded as tears slipped away.

Hayley: "I...I'll be right there." I shuddered in shock.

Officer Bradford: "Thank you, we are at the local community police station, come as soon as you can."

Hayley: "Yes, officer I'll be right there. I am so unbelievably sorry." I apologize.
I look up at Dustin and he takes Kendi from me as she was starting to get fussy.

Officer Bradford: "See you soon."

          ~End of Conversation~

The line goes dead, I feel relieved, heartbroken and frozen all at the same time. My head felt like it was spinning in circles.

"I gotta go." My voice whimpers out.
Dustin nods his head and follows me back. He didn't even hesitate to get in the car after he safely secured Kendi in her seat. I could barely think straight as I just stood there stunned. Thankful Jace was found and safe but I am so hurt and pissed that he would run away and steal. I somehow was able to drive. I look over at Dustin.