Chapter 24: Wednesday 21st February

My vision had recovered almost entirely five minutes ago, and through the alien glass windows I could see we had left the border of Gotham City long behind and exchanged it for a forest covered sanctuary that covered the earth for miles.

The Batcave had to be strategically located; secluded and outside of Gotham it would have an advantage with concealment, detection of enemies and multiple ways to deal with them. It would have to be different from the Arrowcave; which was hidden in plain sight, but easily matched as an effective hideout.

I looked over at Robin. I hadn't said anything to him since I asked where we were going - which was more than ten minutes ago. Though he had offered comforting words and held my hand as we flew.

I wanted to say something; thank him for being there or just make any small talk of some kind. But I didn't know what to say. Even if I did, I wasn't sure that I would be able to get the words out. So instead, I shuffled closer to him; so close that our arms brushed against each other. I tilted my neck and my head itself rested soundly on Robin"s caped shoulder.

Robin seemed somewhat surprised by the gesture, but lifted his hand anyway. He softly careered my cheek as he gently laid his head on mine.

Now I understood why people liked to be in relationships. This feeling - the sensation that Robin caused me to experience just by sitting here and holding me, it was... nice.

It was nice and warm and made me feel fuzzy all over. It was a feeling that I never wanted to stop; a flame that I hoped would never be extinguished.

The bioship soared over a what could be classed as a very small mountain. As we passed to the other side, M'gann turned the bioship and descended. It was only as we got a little closer, that I was able to see the tumbling waterfall that ran down the pointed rocks.

I was about to call out a warning as we went zooming through the falls. But my worry was not needed, as we came through the stream and found a dark passage behind it.

The rectangular lights shone dimly at either side of the curved tunnel as we raced straight ahead through the gloom. Though in no less than thirty seconds, the tunnel erupted into a massive operating base, filled with large screen computers, glass cases and unoccupied podiums for what I assumed to be parking spaces for the extravagant vehicles that Batman piloted.

The bioship came to a halt on one of the podiums. Robin withdrew his body away from mine, earning a small groan and mighty frown from me. He smirked and proceeded to swiftly pick me up and carry me like his bride down the ramp of the ship.

I didn't know how to react when Robin's action sparked a thought about him actually marrying me one day. Could my imagination perhaps become a reality?

I was knocked out of my thought as we stepped of the raised podium and walked over to a medical bed sitting upon another platform not to a computer screen. Robin placed down carefully on top of the neatly tucked in white sheets. The three other girls followed us over and stood near the railing I hadn't noticed before while Robin started to tap away on the computer screen.

I was about to fire my share of questions when a British accent wafted down from the stairs that led somewhere up above.

"Master Di- " A white haired man in a tailored suit stopped mid sentence in the stairway. "Robin, is this Miss Shadow."

"It is." Robin confirmed, tearing his eyes from the blue screen and coming to stand by my bedside. "Shadow, this is Alfred. And Alfred, of course you know this is Shadow."

By now Alfred had completed the descent of the stairs and trotted over to the platform that everyone was situated on. He moved fast for a man of what I assumed to be his age.