Her

8

Areson Sainter

Amidst of all the valleys of life, there stood a mighty huge mountain. High enough to touch the sky so deep enough to hold the ground. It stood upright dominating the entire world. But what attracted me the most was the light spreading out from the mountain even in the unholy hour of the midnight. A light so divine that it challenged the sun. But unlike the sun it never burnt anything, because it was a light that soothed the pain in the human body.

I stride in search of the light. Traveled across the world to reach there, spent the nights alone to capture it, fought my fear and weaknesses to control it, because I was blinded by an eternal desire; an eternal desire to captivate light. But the harder I tried, I failed in my mission. Being despair and desperate I asked someone how to make it mine. He replied with a sigh that held the helplessness of a wounded man who once tried to do what I was doing now.

"If you want to seek the light, sacrifice yourself."

Amanda Rogers

There was a long pause. A pause to grasp everything. Neither of us whispered nor talked. They were waiting eagerly for my response.

"You've done a great job so far. I appreciate that." I said, wanting to be sarcastic. But there was not even a hint of sarcasm in my voice. My voice was normal. Because I couldn't even fathom what I was feeling. Obviously I was afraid for this moment, but now reaching over that dreading moment it seems like I lost the ability to feel my emotions. Shock etched in every face in front of me. They never expected me to respond like this. Then what should I do? Shout at them? Make a random scene for them?

"Do any other gangs know I'm here?" I asked. My voice indicating the urgency of the answer.

"Of course not, we have kept it as a secret." Fred Slater replied, his tone assuring me that he was telling the truth.

"Then tell me why do you want me to join your gang?" My face held a seriousness that demand the reply of the question.

"It is your turn to answer our questions, Miss Roger." Jacob said with a disapproving look.

"But you are the one who need me. If your answer to my question is convincing then maybe I'll join your gang or if you refuse to say something I can walk out of this room as if nothing had happened here." I boldly spoke. But I knew no matter however convincing their reasons are I'm not going to join their damn gang.

"It's amusing to realize how the plates had changed. You're demanding us now?" Jacob's face molded into an incredulous look.

"You worked hard to find me until you succeeded, so will it be a shame to see all that plans go in drain because you refuse to give some answers to my questions?" I raised my eyebrows while my fingers gently tapped my chin. I didn't get any reply from them. They just stare at me and glanced at each other.

"Never thought she would be this hard to crack up." Ryan Becker mumbled to Areson looking down. Even though that was not meant for me to hear, I heard it anyway and I replied making him smile at me in embarrassment.

"I'm not being hard or demanding I'm just giving you options."

"What will you do when we force you to join us?" Mason asked, his face looking more like a serious man who is trying to win an argument. When I looked at him I realized he had fresh green eyes, each of them sparkling at me.

"No you won't force me." I stared at him not blinking.

"What made you think like that?" He asked me another question, which I know thoroughly well.