Day 14 Secrets

"Nino! I'm home!" I call out throughout the house.

A thud and a splash rings out from down the hall.

"You ok Nino?"

"Y-Yeah, Babe! Just... Just taking a shower!"

I hear another thud and what sounds like a whimper, once again from down the hall.

"What's going on in there?" I ask as I set down my things and start towards the bathroom.

"N-Nothing! I'm fine, I just slipped!" Nino explains through the bathroom door.

I hear several more whimpers from in the room and they definitely don't sound like my husband.

"Are you hiding something from me Nino?"

"Uhm... No?" I hear Nino grunt and yet another whimper from in the bathroom.

"That's it Nino, I'm coming in!"

I'm about to open the door when Nino opens it just a crack but stands behind it in such a way that I can't see inside.

I rest my hand on my hip and raise a brow as I take in Nino's soaked clothes and his constant wriggling and kicking behind him.

Nino smiles sheepishly.

"I know this looks bad, but just listen ok? She needed my-" Several barks startle the both of us and I push the door open. A damp mass of golden fur, half covered in a blue towel, pushes past Nino and begins to paw at my pant leg.

A gasp escapes my lips and I stare at Nino.

The dog looks up at me with almost a giddy dog like smile.

Do dogs smile?

"I-I can explain Ok? I was on my way home from a meeting with my agent and I hear whimpering from behind a bush. So when I go to check it out there's a scrawny half dead golden retriever. She was only a block north of our place so I carried her home. She had no tags, Babe. Somebody left her to die there."

My heart shatters and I look down at the beautiful dog.

"I gave her a pot filled with water and cooked up a package of pork sausage for her to eat and she perked up quite a bit." Nino explains. "She's really friendly though. Trusting too."

I sigh. "You do realize that her rightful owner could be looking for her, right?" I ask. "I'll tell you what, Nino. We'll call around to the neighbors and send word out to see if anyone is missing their dog. If nobody claims her, then we'll consider keeping her ok?"

"If they did used to own her, then I don't think they want to anymore. I found her by the Jefferson's old house. Remember they moved out a few weeks ago?"

The dog nudges her head against my palm and I look down at her and her bright blue eyes. She wiggles around excitedly as if she'd never been given this much attention before.

I bend down and wrap my arms around her.

"It's gonna be ok sweetie." The dog barks and I laugh. "We'll call you sweetie from now on, now won't we."

A day goes past, turning to two days, and soon the week has gone by without a single person claiming sweetie.

Nino and I never really talked about it after the initial conversation.

After the first night we both kinda already knew that there was no way we could give her up.

She quickly became our pup and Nino and I smothered Sweetie in love.

With each passing day she became healthier. We took her to the vet and got her vaccinated, and got her a licensed dog tag.

We start and end each day with a walk with Sweetie around the park.

To be honest we both know she wormed her way into our hearts.