Four

"I want my momma," I sobbed, stamping my foot. I was in my grandmothers house again. I think I was about eight though.

"Alena, we've explained it. Your mother and father have gone to a better place," a lady, I can't put my finger to how I know her, but I definitely knew her.

"Oh Penelope. She's eight. She doesn't understand."  I turned and there was my grandmother. I sobbed harder and ran and hugged her leg.

She gently patted my head and I slowly started to calm down. I wiped my eyes on the sleeves of my dress. I glanced around the room. A lot of people were there. People I didn't know. People I recognized but didn't know who they were. And all of them were wearing black.

I spotted my brother and another adult was talking to him. His eyes were red and puffy, from crying like I was. I walked over to him and grabbed his hand. He looker at me and held my hand tightly. I'd never let go of my brother.

I looked around the room again and noticed a picture. My brother and I walked over to it. It was a picture of my mother and father. And the top of it read 'In Loving Memory'.

***

My eyes flew open. Why did I have another weird dream?

I turned and looked at my alarm clock. Hey it's was four in the morning. I groaned and grabbed my phone. I had three more messages from Eugene and a missed call as well. Looks like I was going to have to block him.

I went to my contacts and scrolled down. I stopped when I got to my moms contact. What kind of dream was that? I shakily clicked call and put the phone to my ear.

The phone rang four times before I heard a very tired "hullo?"

My heart melted. "Sorry momma. I had a nightmare and I wanted to call," I said sheepishly.

"What was it about baby?" I could tell she was awake now.

I was about to tell her, and realized I couldn't remember. That's weird. I know I called for a reason. What is going on?

"I-I can't remember. Now I feel embarrassed," I laughed lightly.

"Alena, you silly girl. You always had the worst memory," she laughed on her end. It was nice hearing her voice.

"I know momma. Sorry I woke you. Go back to bed. I will too. I love you."

"I love you too baby."

I hung up and laid my head back down. That was weird. Why couldn't I remember why I was so scared? Was it like you have those dreams about horrible creature but when you wake up and you can't remember what they look like? It had to be.

I smacked my forehead and rolled over. I had to get some rest. I was exhausted.

I yawned and closed my eyes again.

And it seems just as I closed them, my alarm was blaring. I groaned loudly and brought my fist down on it. It hurt my hand but I hated that alarm.

I don't know what got into me but I pulled my blankets back over my head and closed my eyes.

Some time later I heard my door open and someone shook my shoulder. I peaked out and it was Adrian.

"Are you not going to work?" He asked.

"What time is it?" I asked.

"Thirteen after seven."

I shot up. I was late.

"SHIT!" I yelled and ran around my room in a hurry. I pulled on a pair of dress pants and a light blue blouse. I put my hair in as tidy of a low ponytail as I could and I slipped on my flats.