Chapter 17: Vengeance

Trigger warning: a small scene consisting of torure.

3rd person POV:

"You sure leaving the kid there was a good idea?", Jirou asked Momo in uncertainity. 

"I was friends with Asuka until i left the city. She comes from a lower class family, but is a good person. Unfortunately, she had an accident when she was 17, which caused her to lose the ability to give birth. She always cried about it, how she really wanted a child. But adopting children here is rare since people either don't let go of their kids, or throw them outside the city due to crime", Momo replied.

The other women intently listened to Momo's words while aimlessly roaming about the streets, waiting for nightfall to strike. As the group strode around looking for a place that sold food, they stumbled upon a massive commotion in the public gathering area.

Curious, Momo pushed her way through the crowd towards the centre while her companions lazily stood behind the crowd uninterested. She pushed her way through, getting elbowed and smacked a couple times, and her hood almost fell off but she was quick to react and adjust it.

As she reached the front with people still pushing and pulling each other, she took in the sight before her. A familiar woman was kneeling on the ground, her hands tied behind her back while a familiar man rested his foot on her head.

The crowd jeered wildly. Momo's eyes widened as the man grabbed the woman's white hair and forcefully lifted her head, revealing her face.

"W-what...", she trailed off, her voice catching the attention of the man beside her.

"She's getting executed because she tried to kill her husband and escape the city", the stranger explained. A sword was raised high, glowing in the moonlight as though excited to slice down on the woman's neck.

Time slowed down as the sword came down on the woman's exposed neck. In the last seconds of her life, she glanced at the crowd and noticed the strange woman clad in a fluttering black cloak. Wind blew over the crowd, slipping the hood off Momo's head.

But she didn't care. Neither did the others, who were so sickly invested in watching someone get executed that they paid no attention to the distraught Momo. Momo's deep black eyes locked with the woman's grey ones.

Her eyes were filled with fear and pain. An innocent woman who tolerated an abusive and neglective husband...

The sword touched her exposed neck.

A woman who lost her only son, left to waste her days away in solidarity...

A drop of blood seeped out of her neck. Momo's arm reached out to the woman, even though she knew it was a lost cause.

'She's smiling at me...she recognizes me...'

"R-Rei.. san..."

The sound of metal slicing through flesh and bone rung through Momo's mind. Her raised arm trembled as she watched the decapitated head drop to the ground, blood gushing through the wound.

The crowd screamed in a frenzy of insanity, some even drooling as they watched the headless body fall with a dull thud. The man who had so ruthlessly decapitated his wife didn't even bother to glance at the corpse, swinging his sword to clean off the blood.

"..."

Without a word, Momo pulled her hood back on and dispersed with crowd, regrouping with her companions who didn't seem to know what had happened. But they knew something was off when they noticed the aura of malice drip from the silent ravenette.