Chapter 1

I opened my eyes as the loud music penetrated my ears. A scene all too familiar registers in my mind; beams of light flash around the sea of sweaty bodies, people huddled and colliding against one another, dancing mindlessly to the music like it's the end of the world. I walk away from the suffocating crowd and was about to head for the door, only to find myself staring at a pair of chocolate-colored orbs. The butterflies in my tummy wreaked havoc as I continued to stare. My feet seemed to have a mind of their own as I make my way to where He is. Then out of the blue, someone started calling my name.

Nii.

Annie!

Annieee!

The calls got louder and louder until I felt a hand on my shoulder. I held down a scream as I got abruptly pulled back into the darkness!

Waking up to reality, I find Diana, my best friend shaking me vigorously.

"Im awake! Im awake! Stop shaking me! It's making me dizzy." I protested.

"Good! I kept calling you but you wouldn't even budge. We're almost there silly!" She said as she sank back to her seat.

We've been traveling for almost 3 hours by bus from the city to the town where we spent our childhood. I must've slept throughout the ride because my butt started to throb from too much sitting. I looked through the window as the dream I just had comes into mind. It's more of a memory though. Maybe because after a year, I'm going back and I can't help the ugly swirl in my tummy as I recall what happened last summer. I busied myself with the scenery through the glass. Not much has changed since we last visited this town.

The bus halted at the bus stop near a familiar two-story house. A memory flashes through my mind; kids running around playing hide and seek, laughing as they get caught one by one, my grandma coming out of the house holding her one-of-a-kind apple pie and we race to the house to get a hold of the said goodness while my grandpa watched us with amusement in his eyes. I smiled at that. I miss my grandparents and I'm curious as to how everyone's been doing.

I spent most of my childhood days here along with my childhood best friend, Diana, and my other friends. It was when I turned 5 years old when my brother was born that my parents decided to move our residence to the city. My father apparently got called to take over the family business my grandfather left behind after his passing. Bless his soul!

Diana then came to the big city in High School to study with me which was no problem at all since she's basically a second daughter to my parents. She lived with us up until we graduated from University with flying colors. Life's been passing by pretty quickly but all's been good up until now. It's only just the two of us this summer since my parents are really busy at this time of the month with the Diner business back home. The business has been thankfully booming since 2 years ago. They apparently needed to stay and manage it closely. They were sorry they couldn't come with us but it's fine since we're adults now. Dii just turned 22 two months ago and as for me, I'll be turning 22 this month. Gosh, we're getting older quickly.

"Hello? Earth to Annie!" I heard Diana as she furiously waved her hands in front of my face.

"What is it Dii?" I must've been lost in thought again.

"You've been daydreaming a lot lately! What's up with you? If you haven't noticed we're here Nii!" She said with squinted eyes.

"Sorry," I said sheepishly.

"Whatever. Come on. The driver's gonna get mad if you keep hogging that seat any longer."

And there goes 'Dii eye roll'! *pun intended*
We hurriedly went out of the bus and started walking towards the house with our luggage in tow. Before we even had the chance to ring the doorbell, my grandma opened the door and grabbed us both in a bear hug.

"I missed my little girls! What took you so long?

"We missed you too Gigi." We both said as we hugged her back.

My, the both of you got skinnier since your last visit! This won't do! We'll fill up those cheeks in no time." My Grandma told us enthusiastically as she let go and pinched both our cheeks like when we were kids.

Liliana Ackerman. A woman of strength and beauty. It's hard to tell she's 70 with the fresh glow emanating from her 5'2 frame. My Grandma has the warmest brown eyes you'll ever lay eyes on. She looks so kind with her pixie cut framing her face. She looks harmless but dont be fooled. The woman can beat up a grown man if she wanted to. The kids call her Gigi as that's what she prefers.

"Why don't we first let them settle inside Lilia? I'm sure they're tired from the long trip." My Grandpa said coming out of the house as well.

Angelo Ackerman. No doubt an intimidating man with his 6 ft. figure with dark almost black eyes that will send you running for the hills. My Grandpa has always been a serious one. Only been seen smiling around his family otherwise you'll see a prominent frown. Though, even with a stoic expression, he is undoubtedly the most caring man out there. Papi is what we call him and believe me when I say it does not quite fit his description.

"I'm afraid I'll have to pass Papi

"I'm afraid I'll have to pass Papi. My mom's waiting for me so I should get going. I'll come again tomorrow tho." Diana said as she fixed herself from Gigi's recent attack.

"Oh! Okay, dear, we understand you miss them. We won't hold you for long. Just be sure to come back tomorrow for my apple pie okay?"

"Will do Gigi. I'll be looking forward to tomorrow. Ann! I'll call you later." Diana finally said as she made her way to her house a couple of blocks from here.

I turned to my grandparents and grinned widely while they ushered me inside.

"Your room has been cleaned already and the clothes you left are still in the closet. Why don't you go and change first." Papi suggested.

"Thanks Papi!"

I half shouted as I made my way to the stairs with my suitcase in hand to the second floor where my usual room is. I opened the door and put my luggage in the corner of the room, too lazy to open it up. It's exactly as I remembered it; white crisp wallpaper, my single bed with blue comforters across the window where my star chime is still hanging. My study desk, where I put all my scrapbooks from every summer I was staying here. I opened one and instantly smiled at the kids in the photo, smiling widely at the camera. I put it back on my desk and head to my closet to find most of my stuff still here. It kinda feels good to be back.

I decided to occupy myself by zipping open the suitcase and neatly piling my clothes and other things I'll be needing this summer in their proper place. When I was done I put my suitcase under my bed then something delicious wafted through the air. Then I realized what it was! I quickly stood up and raced downstairs past the living room to the kitchen.

"Gigi! Where is my special apple pie at?"

_______________________________________________________________________________

Finally finished the first chapter! Sorry for the long narration. Annie apparently likes to talk in her head a lot! 😋

I hope everyone enjoyed reading this as Annie's summer love begins.

Look out for more chapters ahead! ♥️