Nine

Monse's POV:
"I can't believe we're graduating this year." I tell Cesar. He just nods and looks awkward. "Are you really not going back?" I ask him. "I was just wasting everyone's time." He shrugs. "We got the same grades, took the same classes... either you're smart or I'm dumb." I remind him. "I think everyone knew my life wasn't going anywhere." Cesar tried to explain. "You can still have a future away from this place. Spooky did it." I say. "Yeah but he's dead to the Santos." He tells me. I lean against the couch and stare at the ceiling. "Are they really worth it?" I ask. "They're my family." His phone goes off but he ignores it. "You're family's bigger than just them." I put my hand on this leg. "Why can't you just drop it?" He sounds pissed. "I care about you." I shrug. "I'm gonna be fine, Monse." He says. "Ok, maybe I can't drop it 'cause-" I cut myself off when he starts getting way too many texts at the same time. "You should probably check that." I say and he nods. "Shit." Cesar kisses me and he gets off my couch. "Everything ok?" I ask even though it's obviously not. "Bubblez found out about Jamal and nineteenth street. She's pissed I didn't tell her." He explains. "Why didn't you tell her?" I ask. "It was just easier for her to not know. She's gonna go off and get all the Santos even more pissed." Cesar says. "Ok, breathe." I stand in front of him. "I gotta go before shit gets worse." He tries to push past me. "I know you, Cesar. If you go there and you're already stressing, you'll make it worse." I try and calm him down. "Bubblez has way too much power over them. If I don't go this war's about to get a lot worse." Cesar explains.
"You're Monse, right?" I hear someone ask when I walk out of the bodega. "You're Sapo." I say plainly. "So that's a yes?" He laughs. "Yeah." I nod. "So you're lil Spooky's girl?" Sapo asks. "No!" I say quickly. "You're good hyna, we don't have a problem with you." One of the other guys says. "Hey, didn't know you were allowed to hangout on this side." I hear a familiar voice and then I see Jamal. "I was just leaving." I smile. "I'll walk you." Sapo gets up. "Thanks but I can walk myself." I roll my eyes. "I'm going the same way." He follows me. "You sure you wanna do that?" I ask. "Why not?" He shrugs. "You forgetting about the war?" I laugh. "That's why I'm walking you. Unless you're cool with getting shot 'cause I can go." Sapo says. "I lived here my whole life I'll be fine." I stop walking. "You've been gone a while." He points out. "How do you know how long I've been gone?" I narrow my eyes. "Yo Monse!" I turn around and I see Sad Eyes. "Hey." I say. "You need a ride?" He glares at Sapo. "No, believe it or not I don't need an escort to walk three blocks." I tell them. "

Cesar's POV:
"Finally." Bubblez glares at me. "I was taking care of something." I say. "I don't care. The Santos matter more than whatever you were doing." She yells. I kiss her and she calms down. "Hi." I laugh. "I'm tired of them coming after our people." Bubblez sighs. "I know." I nod. We sit on the couch outside my house and talk things through with the Santos.
   "Nineteenth street's just trying to keep taking from us. They took Jefferson and now they're getting even closer to our barrio." Alejandro explains. "They can't just do that!" Bubblez screams and I pull her on my lap. "Jamal's not dumb enough to get jumped in." I tell her and everyone glares at me. "We're all dumber than him." I remind them. "Jamal, Katrina, Andres, they all live on our side. Nineteenth street's coming for our people." She continues. "Monse." Sad Eyes adds. "What'd you say?" I push Bubblez off my lap. "She was with Sapo. I asked her if she needed a ride back to her place but she was good." He explains. "Just Sapo?" I ask. "Yeah." He nods. "Nobody else?" I yell. "There were some other guys down the block." Sad Eyes tells me. "Why didn't you tell me?" I ask. "Didn't think you cared." He says. "Why do you care?" Bubblez asks. "I grew up with Monse." I remind her. "That the only reason?" She crosses her arms. "Why don't you just worry about Jamal?" I turn back to her. Bubblez stands up and kisses me. "I'm not worried about him. He might not be dumb enough to get jumped in but I know how you get when you care about someone." She explains. "Sapo isn't a threat. If she stays away from everyone else, I'm not worried." I tell them. "He seemed pretty threatening to me." AJ mumbles. "Trust me, he's not." I say. "Anyone on their side is a threat." Bubblez tells me. "To who?" I ask. "This isn't about Jamal." She rolls her eyes. "He chose his friends and you chose your family. You're a Santo so act like one. Jamal can take care of himself." I say. "But Monse can't?" Bubblez asks. "I didn't say that." I go inside and she follows me. "You know I can tell, right?" She asks and my heart drops. "What are you talking about?" I face her. "You care about Monse way more than you've ever cared about me." I can tell I'm hurting her. "Lil Spooky, if you wanna be with her-" I stop Bubblez from finishing that sentence. "I love you." Why'd I just say that? "I swear if you don't mean that." She says, seriously. I pull her in and she smiles. "You're an ass." Bubblez laughs. "So are you."  I lean on again. "I love you too." She says. I don't know what I feel right now.

Jasmine's POV:
"I told Bubblez I love her." Cesar swings my door open. "Are you trying to kill me?!" I yell. "I need advice." He looks like shit. "Fine." I roll my eyes. "So you don't her?" I ask and he shakes his head. "Cesar, you're gonna break that girl's heart." I tell him. "She said I care about Monse more than her." He explains. "Is she right?" I ask. "I think so." Cesar nods. "Ok, I'm about to be really honest with you." I move over so he can sit next to me. "I don't think Monse's ready to be back with you. Every time you guys have something it hurts both of you and everyone else." I say. "So I should just stay with Bubblez?" He asks. "If you like her." I shrug. "But what if I don't know?" He's a scared freshman all over again. "You wouldn't be here if you didn't." I assure him.