Chapter 10

"Peeta's back, sweetheart. That's what's up."

"Peeta's back? What do you mean?" I look at Finnick for answers but his eyes don't want to meet mine.

"Well, he's back. He was detained and tortured in the Capitol for so long, we were sure he's be gone by now. But he's alive Katniss. He survived for you. Annie's rescue mission was successful and we were able to take him with us."

We stop by a window overlooking a hospital bed. Peeta was on it.

He was bruised.
He was battered.
He was dying, all those machines barely keeping him alive.

Barely alive.

But he was alive.

He was alive.
All along.

For me.

Finnick lied.
Peeta wasn't gone

I was so mad and infuriated I began to cry.

I start to run back to the stairwell.

"Katniss! Wait" finnick tries to stop me but I keep running.

I find my way up the stairs and Finnick frantically tries to run after me.

"KATNISS I'M SORRY PLEASE STOP RUNNING LISTEN TO ME KATNISS YOU HEARD WHAT HAYMITCH SAID WE ALL THOUGHT HE WAS DEAD." He says running up the steps, trying to catch his breath

"THAT'S A VERY STUPID EXCUSE FINNICK" I shout back, while I run ahead the steps.

"KATNISS I WAS TRYING TO PROTECT YOU."

"BULLSHIT" I spit back "PROTECT ME FROM WHAT? FROM WORRYING ABOUT HIM?! YOU LIED TO ME FINNICK"

"KATNISS" He finally catches me and hold me close while I cry "I love you Katniss, that's why, that's why I told you he was gone. Pretty selfish of me huh."

Just then we notice there's a beautiful young women at the top of the stairwell with us.

Finnick stiffens. "Annie?" He says in a whisper

Annie? I remember Haymitch's words "Annie's rescue mission was successful and we were able to take him with us."

"Annie?" The young woman smiles when she sees us and immediately runs to hug Finnick.

I look back, and Haymitch came after us too.

He gives me a glass of whiskey and this time, I take it.

I look back at Finnick and Annie.

"Who's annie?"

"Finnick's wife, sweetheart."