1| WARNINGS AND BABIES

WARNING: Brief mention of suicide, child abandonment and other sensitive topics. Please be cautious when proceeding.

─────❝1| WARNINGS AND BABIES❞─────

When you're a first responder, it all in or nothing at all, and the latter was not an option

When you're a first responder, it all in or nothing at all, and the latter was not an option. Everything was fast paced, and it was rough. First, it came the nine-one-one call to alert that there's an emergency. It usually varies, from fires to someone in the need of medical assistance to people doing reckless things to put themselves in danger to people with suicidal thoughts. Then, the dispatcher determines what unit needs to be sent to the location, whether it's the firefighters or the EMTs or the police. It was all a chain of reaction since the first ring of the phone.

Most times, the call ends successfully, like saving a kid after he bumped his head in the pool; but sometimes things leave a toll on the first responders, like someone thinking they're not worth saving and jumping to their death. Sometimes it leaves the first responders with the feeling they could have done more.

The way things work for the first responders, especially the firefighters and EMTs is that once the call is over and the patient is delivered to the ER, they need to move on. If they don't, the guilt will carry them away and will make the job be harder than intended, destroying their will in the process.

Life at the firehouse was calm, except when the bell rings and they sprang into action, leaving behind what they were previously doing. But when they're waiting for a call, hoping that it won't come so they know everyone is safe, the life of the firefighters was normal. Inside the firehouse, they were a family, not their blood related family but the family they choose when they become part of a house.

Firehouse one-eighteen was that family for Firefighter Laura Santos. She's been part of it for about three years, after spending her first years as a paramedic in house one-twenty-six. They were really a family, a tight knit unit that even when things in their personal live were a mess, they came to the members of the house for advice, even when the Captain hasn't accepted it yet.

Today was like any other day in the firehouse, with the crew walking around the community area helping Howard Han, aka Chimney, to figure out his love life with his girlfriend, Tatiana. There was Bobby Nash, their captain and a firefighter transferred from Minnesota; Howard Han, or Chimney, that didn't seem to be so lucky at love but was amazing at his job; and Henrietta Wilson, known as Hen, a badass paramedic that had the biggest heart. And last but not least, the black sheep of the family, self-proclaimed sex addict, Evan 'Buck' Buckley, the newest recruit to firehouse one-eighteen, and someone Laura considers as her annoying little brother and best friend.

Laura loved what Buck have become for her in the short time he's been at the firehouse, but if someone asked her how was he at his job, she would hesitate to say good things about him. It's not like he was an awful firefighter, it was that he was not taking it serious at all, especially that day when he left in one of the fire trucks to god knows where to do god knows what.