Chapter 21 ~ Ian

Sofia Walker is a fine-looking woman, no denying that. She has long black hair, large dark eyes, and delicate features—a bit like a female version of Sam, actually.

When her eyes meet mine, I feel a spark of connection pass between us that makes my heart trip an extra beat, and a tingle of warmth spread in my chest.

I wonder what she looks like as a bear.

A sharp pinch to my side interrupts that line of thought, and I look down to see Sam glaring up at me. "Pay attention, idiot," he hisses under his breath.

I realize the Walkers are watching me expectantly, and that someone must have asked me a question I didn't hear.

"Sorry, I missed that," I say, hoping the color in my face can be blamed on the cold.

A knowing smirk raises one side of Maria's mouth. "I asked if you'd still like to accompany the boys on the search today," she says.

"Yes, of course," I reply quickly. "I'm happy to help in any way I can."

"Me too," Sam offers. When he draws several skeptical looks, he adds, "I can see things other people can't."

The four Walker cousins look at him with quickened interest, and Maria regards him with a sharp, curious gaze.

"You're Gifted?" she asks.

Sam shifts a half-step closer to my side, seemingly uncomfortable under the sudden scrutiny.

"More or less," he says.

I'm glad he kept his answer vague. Something tells me the whole 'I'm a demon' story might not go over so well.

"I want to help, too," Carlos volunteers. "Just tell me what to do."

His easy grin and open expression dissolve whatever tension had been building in the air, and Maria nods.

"Good. The more eyes out looking for Inez, the better. Come along and get some breakfast, and then you can start."

~☆~

Breakfast is smoked fish, golden potatoes, eggs, and savory sausage. The table is laden with food, seemingly far more than eight people could possibly eat, and I wonder if much will go to waste.

My concerns prove unfounded.

Jack, Elliot, Cass, and Sofia each pack away impression portions, and I don't do so bad myself. Sam and Carlos watch with curious fascination as the table quickly clears.

Over the meal, we learn that the Walkers, as well as a number of other Shifter families, have been searching for Inez in teams, sweeping vast areas of land each day.

"We know she made it to the airport," Sofia says, leaning over the table to reach for the coffee pot. "Roger said she met him at his plane and picked up the order just like she always did. He said she seemed like herself—cheerful, energetic—nothing unusual."

"That's the last anyone saw her," Cass adds around a mouthful of potatoes. "It's like she vanished into thin air."

"What about her vehicle?" I ask.

Elliot shakes his head. "Not a trace. It stands out, too. Here, look."

He rises, crosses the room, and takes a small, framed picture from the wall. Returning, he hands it to me while Sam and Carlos move closer to get a look as well.

In the photo, a woman with long gray braids stands with her arms cross, leaning against the back end of an old Ford Sunliner, painted yellow and black.