capítulo nueve

Next Day

"Shittt!"

I hissed at the pain in my side and the headache -scratch that- migraine forming. I rummaged through the cupboard for pain pills. I saw a bottled labelled 'Ibuprofen' and took three. Maybe one more to be sure?

"Miss Jordan. Your car is here." I heard a voice announce through the speakers. I took the pills and drank some water, grabbed a pear and headed out.

When I got to class, I noticed Lu talking to Samuel and walked over. "Hi darling," she waved at me, smirking. Darling?

"Hi," I replied tentatively. 

"Are you regretting it now?" Guzmán asked.

I heard boys behind me laughing. Samuel picked up his bag. "Come on, Melanie," he whispered. We walked past Guzmán. Samuel watched him dead in the eye.

"I'm so glad you've seen the light, Samu!" he yelled tauntingly.

"What's going on?" I asked him. "You have to be careful with Polo", he responded. "Why?"
  He looked at me. "Just do." he squeezed my shoulder and entered the next class.

Break time

"Rebe, my love! I haven't seen you all day!" I exclaimed dramatically. "As have I, chica!" she hugged me tightly. "Ow, my side," I pulled away. "Sorry, sorry", she apologised. "Can you give me a ride home today? I have a driver, but I could do with some company" I bit into my pear. "Sure. Have you told your parents yet?" She asked me, stretching out her legs on the lush, green grass.

"No, I want to wait a bit-" She interrupted me. "Till what? He takes all the money?" She looked confused. "Well, not all but enough, so when they get suspicious, I'll let them know so he won't kill me!" I yelled, frustrated at this point.

"Shh, keep it down", she looked around, "Look, all I'm saying is don't wait too long. Your parents care about you." I quietly ate my pear, ignoring my headache as best as I could.

On my way back to class, I saw Ander, "Hey, Hey!" I got his attention. "Hi Mel", he gave me a wavering smile. "I heard it's your birthdayyy" I grabbed his hands in mine and started to move them around, but I noticed he wasn't in a good mood. "I'm sorry, I didn't know you don't celebrate it" I dropped his hands.

"It's not that...are you free tonight?" He asked, rubbing his temple. "Yeah, I think so. Why?"

"We can go to the club. My boyfriend works there now." I shook my head. "Sure, send me your address and time. I'll come to pick you up. I need a distraction," I mumbled the last part.

After school

"I haven't heard from Polo all day," I told Rebe as we walked to her car. "Same with Samu, but he's not my boyfriend," she let out a breath, "Not even a text?" She asked. "Well yeah, he did, it was, have a good day, cariño" she stopped walking, looking at Carla and Samuel.

"Rebe, come on," I sighed, going in the car, but she didn't move. "Rebe", I tugged on her hand; she came in but stared out the window. I looked through the heavily tinted back glass. I saw Samuel go in Carla's car, and the glass started going up. Rebe turned to me. "It's okay to cry," I said softly.

"There's no crying in the club, chica", she replied before chewing her gum looking out the window. "Is he still coming over later?" I asked curiously, and she shrugged her shoulders. "Well, if you're free later, I'll be at the club with Ander and his boyfriend," she just nodded her head.

When we arrived, I changed, did my homework and called Polo, but it went to voicemail. I called Ander, who picked up.

Ander🍃: Hey, Mel. I'm ready now you can come to get me