Chapter 8

" Look at all these people." Jene complained " They live in fear of the demons but they haven't suffered the way we have."  He kept walking farther into the secret passage way that was underground. Rain of course was following him. She looked up at him.

 " Well.." she sighed," Good for them. But remember what our original mission is." Jene looked at her but then looked back down.  They kept walking and waking and not a single villager complained.  " They're certainly well mannered. If this was our town they would be screaming at us and pushing and shoving. This is certainly better than our town." Rain tugged at Jene's sleeve. 

 He turned to look at her. " What?" he asked sounding annoyed. Rain took a step away from him, then she pointed at the crowd.

 "They're tired, we should rest." she whispered looking away from him. He placed his hands on her shoulders.

  " Listen, Rain." he said in a quiet frustrated voice. " I had to get up late at night. Then I had to lead these people through an underground passageway because the city is in danger." The change of Jene's voice scared Rain. He kept going" IF I DIDN'T GET ANY REST THEN THEY SHOULDN'T! WE don't have TIME for REST! " he shouted.

 " I don't know you." Rain told him. She turned towards the people. " Come on. We have to keep going." she said in a polite tone. They kept walking but Rain wouldn't talk to Jene.

 " We take the left tunnel. " Jene advised Rain. She didn't talk to him. They went left. " So..." Jene spoke trying to break the awkward silence. It didn't work. Rain kept silent.  They kept walking. He kept trying. " Did you have an interesting dream? I did." he asked. She said nothing. 

  " I'm sorry" he finaly said. " I'm sorry I screamed at you. I just.....I'm ....... I wasn't in the mood" He looked at her placing one of his hands on her shoulder. She looked up at him and smiled.

 " It's okay. We all have those times." She laughed. 

 Jene laughed, gently pushing her twowards him. He was hugging her and she let him. She slowly started crying.

" What's wrong?" Jene asked.

 " Thank you Jene. I don't know why but you really make me happy. I'm happy when I'm near you. I'm more than happy that you actually care about me." she cried. " I'm happy a really really like you, I'm happy I met you. I'm just happy you're alive."

  " Rain. " Jene whispered to her. " I'm glad you like me because I really really like you too. I'm happy I met you, I'm happy you're here with me and letting me hug you. I'll do anyting for you. As long as you're alive and as long as the memory of you is still in my heart."

" Jene...." Rain sniffles.

"What is it ?"  Jene asks.

" Everyone's looking at us." She answers. He looks back. All the villagers were staring and some had watery eyes. Awkward.

 " Lets get going." Jene suggests.

"Yeah." Rain confirms.