Got a Problem?

(A/N Sorry for being slow on the chapters. Now that I've got more free time, they'll hopefully be coming out more frequently-- so look out for that! Trigger warning || mentions of abuse **Edited for grammar)

The five of us lay in our patch of shade sprawled out on the ground, exhausted and covered in all sorts of dirt.

Panting, Vern sits up from his spot next to Teddy, "Hey, what time is it Gordie?"

Gordie lifts up his wrist and reads the time off his Timex, "It's a quarter past one."

Vern's familiar uneasy facial expression returns, "We better go get the food, the junkyard opens at three. Chopper will be here." Although none of us wanted to get up, we all knew it was true. We all scoot ourselves upright.

Teddy hits Vern in the shoulder lightly, "You go, you can pick us all up on the way back."

"Nuh-uh no way I'm going alone. We should all go" Vern counters. 

In normal Teddy fashion, he kicks his feet out and lays down with his hands behind his head and grunts, "Go on, I'm staying right here."

Chris shakes his head, "Girls, cool it. We'll flip for it."

I nod, "Okay, odd man goes."

"That's you Y/N. Odd as a cod." Teddy pokes my arm, cackling as usual.

I sigh, "So's your mother."

The boys hit Teddy with a crowd of oooo's, ruffling his feathers just a little. Finding new ways to degrade a friend's mother was always held in high regard. It was the first time I got a rip in at one of the boys, Teddy looked genuinely shocked.

Gordie hands us each a shiny nickel, and we all flip. When we all uncover our coins, Vern goes silent. 

"Oh Jesus, that's a goocher." He points out at all of our coins, tail side up.

Of course that wasn't any information we didn't know. Four heads-- a moon --was supposed to be extremely good luck. But a goocher; that was the exact opposite. 

"Fuck that shit it doesn't mean anything. Go again." Teddy whines

But Vern doesn't give up, he speaks faster, his lisp more present now. "No man, a goocher. That's really bad. You remember when those guys got wiped out on Weed Hill in Durham? Billy told me they were flipping for beers."

An array of sighs emanated from the boys, but Vern frantically continued, "And they came up a goocher just before they got into the car. And bang! They all got totalled! I don't like this. Sincerely!"

Teddy still held his ground, "Nobody believes that shit about moons and goochers, it's baby stuff Vern. You gonna flip or what?"

Vern flipped his nickel reluctantly. When we revealed all our coins, all of us had tails again. All of us besides Gordie. Four tails, one head.

"You lose, Gordie. Gordie loses! Ohhh Gordie you just screwed the pooch!" Teddy smiles, a small 'eeee-eeee-eeee' escaping his lips.

Gordie shakes his head with a small smile on his face, "Does the word retarded mean anything to you?" 

"Go get the provisions you fucking morphadite."

"Don't call me any of your mother's pet names" He smiles

The rest of us sit in small laughter chattering between us. Gordie stands up with all the money and turns to go get the food, when Teddy follows with a small, "What a wet end you are, Lachance."

"Aw shut up!"

Once more, I saw that familiar glint appear in the boys' eyes, and this time, I knew why. Gordie's shoulders drop, realizing his mistake.