Four

I received a letter everyday. I received a picture once a month. I received Harry's love from miles and miles away. Then one week, I received nothing.

When you are involved with someone in the military nothing means everything. Nothing meant so many different things that it was hard to pinpoint just exactly what nothing meant. He could have died. He could have been disconnected. He could have been captured by the enemies. He could have been anywhere doing anything. Nothing was my worst fear.

I hoped and prayed that nothing meant that he was okay and the mailing got mixed up. I prayed that God protect and watch over him because I couldn't and I wasn't strong enough. I wrote him letters instead, expressing my worries, telling him I loved him just in case those would be the last words he read. I wanted him to know that someone was here for him. Someone cared. Someone loved him.

Then one week turned into two. Two into three. Three into an entire month of absolutely nothing from Harry. Not one word. No postcard. No letter. Nothing.

It was just like before. He would be my second heart break; my second loss. I had given up after a while. There was no use if he were gone. He would be the second soldier to look over me.

Then one day I got a call. It was hard to hear through the static, but I could hear him. I could hear his voice, the same one that had made me melt and the same that had made me cry in that moment.

"I'm coming home," he had said. And it felt as though thousands of pounds were lifted off my shoulders and chest and I could finally breath again.

"You are?" I asked, completely lost for words.

"I am. I'm not going back either. My time is up."

If I weren't already crying, I probably would have burst into joyful tears at his words. He was done. He was free to go. He wouldn't be put at risk any longer, "you'll stay for sure?"

"I'll stay for as long as you want me to."

"Then you'll stay forever?"

A large wave of static had made it's way to my ear and I had to pull back for a moment, "I'll stay forever, darling."

"No more leaving?"

"No more, but babe."

The static increased, "yeah? Harry, what is it?" I couldn't hear anything else before Harry said bye and hung up, leaving me in silence.

.

He arrived home two weeks later. I waited for him at the airport, watching so many faces walk past me. I began to worry when I didn't see his. Then I felt strong hands on my waist and I was spun around, picked up and twirled around in the air.

When Harry sat me back down he whispered in my ear, "I missed you way too much," then pulled back to kiss me right there...in front of everyone.

I blushed when we finally parted. His subtle cheeks were rosy and I was flustered. I fixed my hair and he took my hand so we could walk throughout the airport to return to what was now our home. He complimented me, said my eyes were even bluer than he last remembered and that I looked even more beautiful than the last time he saw me.

I blushed at his comments, feeling giddy and happier than ever. The short term effects of sadness were already wearing off with just the slightest dosage of Harry.

When we walked through the front door, he threw his things to the side, picked me up as if I were his bride and carried me up the stairs to our shared bedroom. He laid me down on the bed and gave me a few soft kisses. He was gentle. He took care of me as if I were a rare butterfly with delicate wings that would carry me for miles.

He looked at me not with lust, but with love and I could feel it in my bones; I could feel it in my heart that I loved him, the boy with the curly hair and huge ambitions.

And he loved me right back.

"Can I compliment you one more time?" He had asked. I laughed quietly, giving him a nod to continue, "you have the voice of an angel, the heart of a loving father and the courage of a warrior. I have no idea how I have become so lucky to have found you, to love you, to give you everything that you deserve. You are a true inspiration, a true hero."

His words sounded like the melody of a harp, chords strumming to create such a soothing song that one would sway to. His voice was deep, he spoke slowly which only took me to higher places, dragging me into his trance.

I leaned up to kiss him once more, then pulled him by the collar so I could do it again. Eventually we ended up as a tangled mess with his body pressed against mine as we breathed heavily.

Everything was so perfect with him.

Everything made sense with him.

Everything was right, nothing felt wrong.

And there should have been a voice in the back of my head telling me to stop it all, call it off, end it in that moment, but there wasn't and it was the largest relief.