An Uncomfortable Night

I led my mortal night guest to a chair and gently gave a push. She fell down lightly, taking a second to adjust. It had been centuries since I had a "guest" so to speak. At least a mortal one. Rules of hospitality suggested I provide her with food and a place to sleep. However, given her weak state, neither would be enough to be considered hospitable. The bandages around her eyes clearly needed to be replaced and she could not stay in that awful gown much longer. Overhead thunder roared so loud my serpent friends shivered. Constance trembled a little as well, and I exhaled.

"Would you like a bath, mortal?"

Her head rose at the sound of my voice. "I-I would."

"The water here is always warm so it should stop your trembling." I told her, un-clicking my leg guards. I sent them back in the wardrobe, and reached inside for the smallest gown I had. It would still be big on her, but it would keep her warm through the night. I came to her side and knelt down, gently tapping her hand.

"I'm going to guide you to the bath now." I warned her. "I suggest you cling to my arm. You may have navigated the path, but the rest of my home is not so inviting."

"Alright."

I put her hand on my arm, and we slowly walked out the adjacent door to my room. Large, aqua colored baths bubbled and bristled with warm water. Around them lay small pearls of soap, always replacing themselves the moment I used one. I liked the convenience of having them, but for Constance they would be stumbling blocks. For that reason I stopped to grab a few, and then resumed our slow trek to the bath's edge. I let her fingers find the mosaic tile, and then tapped her shoulder.

"The bath is right here." I told her. "You may strip out of your gown now. I will grab you a towel."

I put the new gown in her hand, and she began to change while I turned to the right, snatching a towel from a nearby basket. I did my best to avoid looking at her nude body, quickly giving her the towel. She let the dirty gown fall and wrapped the towel around her. It practically covered her like a blanket. Our size difference was somewhat hilarious.

"Can you feel the bath's drop?" I asked, hiding a smile.

"S-Somewhat." She replied. She moved slowly and cautiously, her knee bent under her, and she slid a toe in the water. Air hissed through her teeth and she practically slammed herself down inside. She must have been freezing from the rain as she submerged herself up to her neck. I had a feeling if her eyes weren't injured she'd have gone under completely. Which reminded me.

"I will grab something for your eyes." I told her. "I suggest you stay still in the bath. You won't drown as it is not that deep, but if you move and water touches your eyes it will burn."

"The water is not that scolding."

I snorted. "No. It what's in the water. I've put soap and minerals inside. None of which should touch your raw, opened wound. Do you understand?"

"Yes." She sighed in bliss, clearly enjoying the water. "I'll keep still."

"Good. I'll be right back."

I'd just stepped away when my faithful companions began their little protest.

Are you trying to get us killed? She is already enemies with a demigod. We should have kicked her out.

I agree! Let's toss her out!

I went to my vanity, and bent down to a smaller shelf where random items rested. Opening a small box, I found bandages. I couldn't remember why I even had them. The few times a hero manage to injury me, my body healed too fast for them to be necessary. Maybe this mortal really was blessed. I took the bandages and grabbed a gown of my own.