So I died. What a pain.

I woke in a field of wheat.

Gasping for breath and covered in sweat, my hand went to my heart. It beat so fast I felt it would destroy my chest frame. Out of habit, I reached for my serpents, wishing to stroke them, but only found long hair. Stunned, I ran my fingers through the familiar strands in disbelief. Following them down, I saw soft purple material wrapping my body and sandals woven from black material. My eyebrows furrowed.

"How disappointing," I muttered. "If this is death, I expected...more..."

"Medusa?"

Oh no. By the gods, please tell me my ears were broken. That sweet voice couldn't possible belong to my Constance. Before I lost consciousness I'd been on some isle where Echidna lived...yes, I remembered. We defeated her, but I was struck by one of her barbs. And yet that was only me. My dear Constance couldn't be dead.

She couldn't be standing here before me, wearing the most beautiful gown of rich blue I'd ever seen. Around her neck, the necklaces Tinus gifted her shining bright and dazzling with every step she took towards me.

"Medusa," She breathed softly. "Finally you're awake."

I shook my head. "This can't be real."

She smiled sadly. "I couldn't let you go without me. Seeing you fade away I took my own life."

"You fool!" I sneered. "Why would you do that?"

"Isn't it obvious?" She reached out for me. "I...I love you."

Her words echoed in my ears, and perhaps I should have been overjoyed. But the thought of her dead had forced my mind to search her closely. To be certain this was indeed my Constance. I let a smile play on my lips and reached out as if to accept her hand. She reached out and took my hand, pulling me in. Her hands wrapped around me, and I gently pulled her head to my chest.

"I'm furious with you," I whispered. "But I can forgive you because I just remembered something."

She smied against my chest, stroking my hair. "What?"

"Constance's doesn't call me Medusa," I whispered by her ear. Her eyes widdened and I dropped her, and upon smacking the dirt, Constance changed and morphed into a creature of darkness in the outline of a woman. I arched an eyebrow. "Impressive. Let me guess. You're a fury?"

Darkness pulled back to reveal a perfect row of white teeth baring themselves at me. "What an honor to have the Lady Gorgon in the Underworld. We've been waiting for you."

I snorted. "Well you've clearly done your research. But I wonder why you waste time seducing me? If I'm dead isn't that a little unnecessary?"

Her smile dissappeared and she sneered. "That's right. You're dead and a tenant of the Dark Lord's realm. Try to behave. I'd hate to pluck your eyes out."

For all of my confidence in the mortal world, I was cautious before her. Even monsters were powerless in the underworld. Nothing more than phantom souls bound to either live our days in punishment or be allowed to stay in a sort of middle ground. Never suffering, but never feeling excitement either.

"It's true," I muttered. "Even monsters have to obey the laws of the Underworld. But you forget yourself...I was a priestess in the mortal world. I can feel that parts of my soul aren't here."

The creature's fists balled up, and she got to her feet shifting into Constance once more. "Don't fight it, Apophis. Why not enjoy this world? I assure you it's just as real...just as soft." At the word soft, her finger tips brushed over my lips and I swallowed.

"Who would choose the underworld?" I shut my eyes to avoid her. "If I'm not fully dead you cannot keep me here."

"One fragement of your soul remaining in the mortal realm is hardly important!" She growled. "If only that barb had hit you when you were mortall!"