Great. A Side Quest.

Nothing good comes from silence. A forest that is too quiet probably has suffered a fire or a famine, killing off it's inhabitants. A cave that is too quiet harbors a sleeping bear or some eerie beast. But an oracle that grows suspiciously quiet at the mention of tampering with fate is a thousand times worse.

"What is he talking about?" I snarled, irritated by Constance silence.

She continued to keep her mouth shut, and Apollo smiled knowingly. He put his hands behind his head and leaned back, relaxed as can be. Constance's hand shook as she took a sip of the tea he provided.

"You see," Apollo sighed. "Our precious oracle here, can already see the future. By that, I mean she has already been given a vision. One which she was supposed to carry out. And yet...she choose a completely different path. One that has even the minor gods gossiping."

"What path?"

Apollo glanced at Constance, cupping her cheek. He smiled, and a burning glow surrounded his face, ethereal and shocking. "Do you want to tell her love, or should I?"

Constance shied away from his touch, and even now I wanted to pull her from him. But if what he said was true she was hiding something from me. Given how I'd left my cave for her, and traipsed around around these annoying mortals, I wasn't feeling to happy with her. She must have felt my glare, because she curled her legs to her chest, hiding her face.

"You don't understand."

"Oh?" I snorted. "Try me. What grand reason do you have for tampering with fate? Tell me and I'll decide whether we should keep this little quest up, or go find a nice tower to lock you in."

She stiffened, and I regretted my words. I wouldn't really lock her in a tower...well, it wasn't likely I would. But if she'd lied to me...kept something so important it could ruin the both of us, I might very well consider it.

"Out with it, Constance!" I hissed, growing irritated.

"I don't want my life to be decided by old men!" She snapped.

Apollo looked amused. I just stared.

"My father and the other nobles just sat behind their tables, gossiping over me like a bag of money. I broke the rules and ignored the fate the gods ordered for me because I felt it was best. I'm so much more than just an oracle or just a nobleman's daughter. I shouldn't have hidden it from you, but I would do it again if given the chance. Because I want to determine my own fate."

"Determine your own fate?" I glared. "This isn't a game! Playing with fate is why Oedpius ended up marrying his mother and Atlanta got turned into a lioness. The gods aren't exactly nice to people not doing what they want."

"I feel like I should be offended by that." Apollo said, but he was smiling, warm like the sun. I hated him a little for it. "But dear Apophis is right. We aren't fond of deviance in the grand scheme of things."

"I don't care what the gods are fond of!" Constance replied, shocking me. "I will not be just a chess piece for them to toss around."

As silence filled the cave, I had to admit I was...impressed. This blind, small girl was trying to defy gods who terrified me on a good day. Just imagine what she was like before she lost her sight. Her blindness was causing her shyness. I bet she was loud and confident before. Probably more daring than her friends, always stealing her father's horse to ride off on adventure. Always dancing when the urge hit her, and always curious about the world. She probably read books to escape and dreamed of being strong and powerful. A woman that would make the goddesses proud. Which is why Rekeles ordered she be blinded.