Chapter 3

NICOLI

It's been almost a year.

Axe kept her promise of setting our plans aside, the military wasn't able to find her yet, but they're still searching. The project that they started with Dad, Peter and Philip wasn't that successful. They failed over and over trying to program its system without mine and Axe's help. Xavier said that they're used to the old models of the AI's, that Axe's model is quite impossible, but they're not quitting. They're still finding a possible solution to at least make it work.

The twins had a lot of progress in just nine months. Cepheus is strong, he learned to walk alone, he shows his protective side when it comes to his sister and mother. This little guy is a climber too, during his 8th month we always find him outside his crib in the morning, he like climbing out to sleep on the carpeted floor. While Cassiopeia is showing her wits, and she already knows some few words, she's even imitating Axe sometimes. Cassiopeia is also showing a sign of intelligence in playing with blocks. The twins love doing things together like Sophie won't take a bath without Cepheus. Like how Cepheus cries when Sophie doesn't have her own blanky at night. They're so sweet and nice to one another and I wish we will be there to witness it when they grow up.

But as Axe and I had agreed, we have to send the kids out this city. It's safer out there, and people are much nicer. It'll be hard for us, but we have to make a sacrifice, or they'll be forever haunted by those greedy people who are thirsty for power and money.

We are meeting with Greg today, waiting for him at the basement with the kids bags packed up and Axe having a hard time saying goodbye to them. We had much time to think about it, and we have make sure they are unseen and safe in sneaking out. We can't take another risky step and hack on any underground tunnel this city have. We have to make our own which is inaccessible for the military, and the officials for the assurance of their safety. We managed to dig down our basement creating an underground tunnel outside the city without being noticed, this tunnel can also be used for future purposes in visiting the kids.

The elevator opens up revealing Greg, he looks tensed and stressed. Running his fingers through his hair as he walks towards us, and stopping in front of me.

"You need to evacuate this area Nicoli, it's no longer safe, they are now starting to look after the abandoned buildings and it'll not be long for them to reach this." he whispers. "I'll bring the kids to my mom, and I'll be back shortly. We cannot prolong this, we need to talk."

"Alright." Greg nods, he was about to go Axe's direction when I grab his arms, "Don't tell her, I'm sure she won't let the kids go if you do."

"Damn man. Fine."

"Is everything okay?" Axe questions, shifting her eyes towards me and Greg. "Why are the both of you whispering? Is there something you want to tell me Greg?"

"Nothing, I was just making sure that Nicoli won't cry saying goodbye to his little ones." Good that he lied, but I didn't like that.

"Yeah, right. Ha ha." Trying to act normal, but that laugh came out awkwardly, clearing my throat as I try to defend myself from the looks my wife is giving me. "Uhm.. That wasn't an awkward laugh, it was sarcasm."

"Sure it does." Axe just rolled her eyes and shifts her attention to Greg, "Take a good care of them, I made a note for your mother since I can't go there yet. Those are things that needs to be done for the twins and uhm... Just give it to her."

Greg chuckles and say, "I've never seen you this nervous before."

"Well... They're probably right. Your perspective changes when you see your child. I just want to give them the best, and to keep them safe all the time."