A Lesson to remember

The commander escorted you to your advisor Seungmin's office and leaned against a wall in the corner of the room, silently watching over you as the day's lesson began. Christopher seemed somewhat disinterested in the lecture, he crossed his arms across his broad chest, and he sighed aloofly.

You felt Christopher's eyes on your form, and to say it was distracting would be an understatement. You strained to listen to Seungmin rattle on about the current political state of BlackBrooke but, under Christopher's attentive gaze, you focused more on your behavior, not daring to look up from your notes. You tapped your heels against the floor anxiously, an action that didn't go unnoticed by Seungmin. He peered away from the chalkboard and sighed, "Your highness, I highly suggest you pay attention; I'm about to approach the most vital information in this lesson."

You immediately snapped out of your state and smiled weakly at Seungmin, eyes crinkling with embarrassment, "My sincerest apologies. I will pay more attention from now on."

Seungmin fully turned to face you, and he began where he left off, "As the military power of Roselake increases, it becomes a bigger threat to our humble kingdom."

The commander abruptly was greatly interested in Seungmin's words, his ears perking at the mentioning of Roselake. He bit his lower lip as he eavesdropped on the lecture. Seungmin continued, "After the death of your father, our enemies have flourished. Luckily," Seungmin smiled slightly, "The Queen has made an excellent and wise decision."

You grimaced, already afraid of where the conversation was heading. Seungmin didn't notice as he stated, "The kingdom is unstable without an heir or king so, your mother has decided it's time to make your debut and a list of potential prince consorts is arranged."

You choked in surprise, and your eyebrows shot up in distaste, "What!" You exclaimed, "Why on earth should I make a debut! I'm fine on my own!"

Seungmin sighed, knowing how independent you were, "Your mother has decreed it. There's a ball in a few weeks for the bluebell festival. The Queen has planned for you to debut then."

Your shoulders slumped, and you crossed your arms across your chest. You opened your mouth to argue but, Seungmin gathered his things and placed a sealed letter on your desk, "Please excuse me, your highness, I must go make preparations."

Seungmin bowed to you and Christopher before making his leave. Once Seungmin disappeared from view, you threw your hands in the air and wailed in despair, " I'm fine on my own! I don't need some man telling me what to do!"

Christopher, who was silent during the exchange, pipped in, shrugging his shoulders, " It seems you don't have a choice, Princess."

Christopher placed his hands on your desk, and he leaned forward, his face inches from yours, "Plus, that'll be a good opportunity for you to develop some skills. "

He raised a teasing eyebrow, "After all, your not exactly what I'd call Bride material at the moment."

You puffed your cheeks and heatedly exclaimed, "Well, it doesn't matter what you think, I wouldn't marry a man like you in a million years."

Christopher let out a chuckle, and he brushed his hair out of his eyes, " Were you even listening to your advisor?"

You tilted your head, "What do you mean?"

Christopher narrowed his eyes, "Open that letter, and I'm sure you'll see what I mean."

Christopher bowed, "I'll see you around, Princess, try not to die while I'm gone."

With a wink, Christopher left the room, leaving you alone. You looked down at the letter and carefully removed the seal, "What on earth could be in here?" You mumbled.

In big black cursive letters at the top of the paper read, "Approved Potential Prince Consorts."

And the first name was all too familiar, " Commander and head of militia Christopher Bang."