A Cartful of Trouble

You sighed and accepted his hand, hooking your barefoot into the stirrup nearest to you. Christopher pulled you up with ease, and you wrapped your arms around his torso as you hoisted your dress up, causing the young soldier to flinch a bit before his shoulders relaxed once more. He flicked the reins, and the horse neighed before trotting down the cobblestone road.

You rested your cheek against his back and expected to hear the soft lull of his heartbeat, but it was nowhere to be heard. This was perplexing, and you sat up straight. Before you could ask the Commander about your discovery, your attention was quickly stolen by the foggy image of the town on the horizon, the country wall faint in the distance. You grinned widely as the distant lights of their houses and festival lantern's glimmered dimly in your eyes. "There it is!"

Christopher chuckled at your exclamation and nodded silently, his brown tresses shifting slightly in the evening breeze, "The town is beautiful every time I visit it."

Christopher sighed as you entered the town and smiled softly as he peered down at a few similar faces. He hopped off the saddle first and took out your heels. the Commander gently grasped your ankle and slipped the first heel on before helping you put your other one on as well. "Well, princess, we're here."

You blushed as he helped you with your shoes and mumbled a thank you, averting your gaze as you gently stepped down. " It would seem so." You awkwardly replied, the warmth of his touch lingering on your skin.

You looked around and grinned as you searched the bustling town for something to do but, a particular sight made your happy expression drop from your face. A cat, maybe a few weeks old, was strolling through the path, just as a carriage, pulling a cart of apples was barreling down the road. Your eyes widened, and you sprinted away from Christopher's side. Your hood fell to your shoulders as you dashed in front of the cart and scooped the cat up. However, the carriage didn't stop after noticing you, and you came to a deadly realization, it wasn't going to stop. Christopher cursed at your naive behavior and quickly stepped into action. 

The young soldier lunged in front of the vehicle and wrapped his arms around you. The momentum of his movement shoved both of you to the ground of the sidewalk. Christopher groaned under you at the impact as he cradled you in his arms and tensed as the carriage zoomed past the both of you, mere inches away. If Christopher hadn't shoved you out of the way, you would've been a princess pancake. The kitten in your arms yawned, unaware of the danger it had been in, and pounced onto the sidewalk before strolling away.

You coughed harshly and groaned before opening your eyes hesitantly. Your hues widened, and you propped yourself up on your palms, your hands supporting your weight on each side of Christopher's head. Your gloves were ripped and tattered, the skin underneath a rosy hue as a small amount of blood pooled in the wrinkles of your hands, flowing like small gorey rivers to the puddles of rainwater on the ground, tainting it. "Are you okay, commander?!" You asked urgently, wincing at the stinging pain in your hands as you peered down at the brunette.

Christopher's eyes flickered open, and his brown eyes had a new fire in them as he grit his teeth, "What were you thinking? You could have died!" He growled lowly, sitting up with a significant amount of effort, causing you to move, sitting beside him. The collar of his uniform was disheveled, leaving his porcelain throat in the moon's pristine light. It seemed he had..... markings of sorts amongst his many scars. There were three black and jagged lines on the side of his neck. 

You could barely catch a glimpse more before he flicked his collar back up, shielding the marks from view, " I knew it was a bad idea to go out tonight.." Christopher mumbled, brushing off his uniform and standing up before helping you up as well.

His eyebrows furrowed, seeing the rips in your gloves, and pulled handkerchiefs out of his pocket before proceeding to tie them around your wounds silently. You shifted your weight and chewed your lower lip, " Sorry... I'll pay more attention next time." You replied regretfully.

He sighed and lowered his hands from yours, "There won't be a next time princess, not as long as I'm in charge of taking care of you." 

((AN- Sorry for the short chapter! things are finally starting to calm down so expect some more, longer chapters soon!))