chapter 15

Akaashi sat down on the wooden stool next to the hospital bed with a dull thump. Lifting up the grey sweater that was loose on his body, he noticed that the black bruises had spread so far across his torso and his chest that barely an inch of the formerly pale white skin was left. Only a few hundred black feathers were left on the skinny frame of his wings which now closely resembled that of a dead, rotting bird's. Lifting up a hand and trying to ignore the searing pain that ran down his arm and through his body, he tapped Bokuto gently to rouse him.

"Bokuto-san." Akaashi whisper-croaked.

The grey-and-white haired man slowly opened his eyes, focusing them slowly on Akaashi's hunched over, shadowy figure.

"Akaashi...you came back!" Bokuto exclaimed, wincing as he tried to sit up. Akaashi reached over to support him, trying to ignore the bright smile that Bokuto had on his face.

"Yes...I did." Akaashi murmured, digging his thumb into his palm.

I'm sorry Bokuto-san.

"You haven't come back in three weeks," Bokuto said. "I thought you'd never come back."

Akaashi grimaced, before sighing.

"Bokuto-san, I-"

"You won't disappear again will you, Akaashi?"

There was a moment of silence, and Akaashi frowned.

"Bokuto-san, why did you wait for me?"

"What?" Bokuto sat upright, surprised. "What's that supposed to mean?"
"I'm telling you to stop waiting for me." Akaashi said, firmer this time as he tried to ignore the ache in his heart. "I won't be coming back after this."

I want to come back. Trust me, I do.

"What, why?" Bokuto whispered, his eyes round with sadness. "You just came back..."
"Why do you care if I'm back or not?" Akaashi growled. "We're not even friends anymore."

No. You'll always be my best friend. Why am I doing this?

"What?" The look in Bokuto's face pained Akaashi. "How could you say that...?"

"I'm not even alive, Bokuto-san. We haven't talked for so long. How does that make us anything more than acquaintances? If anything-"

"Stop." Bokuto spoke abruptly, cutting Akaashi off. "This isn't like you."
"You don't even know me anymore!" Akaashi snapped, raising his voice.

His sharp voice resonated in the room, and both of them stared at each other in shock.

I've done it now.

A few minutes passed, and Bokuto shifted over and brushed Akaashi's cheek with his thumb.

"What's wrong, Akaashi?" Bokuto whispered, concerned.

"What? Nothing's wrong. This is just how I feel." Akaashi stammered.

"But you're crying."

I'm crying?

Bokuto withdrew his hand, and Akaashi noticed that his thumb was wet.

I'm...crying?
Reaching up quickly, Akaashi felt the pads of his fingertips come into contact with a wet liquid.

Hastily wiping aways his tears, Akaashi turned away.

"I'm not crying."

"Yes you are."

"No I'm not."

"Yes you are."

More tears welled up in Akaashi's eyes, and finally, he snapped. He burst into tears, using his arm to cover his face as he wept, heaving.