10. Sweet Like Sugar

It's a silent Saturday night. There isn't much for you to do and there certainly isn't anywhere you are going to or needed to be at the moment.

You take in a big whiff smelling the aroma that filled the kitchen. You smiled pulling out the tray of fresh cinnamon rolls you proudly baked.

Suddenly your mom and dad walks in the kitchen, both cleaned up and ready to leave for the night. Mom, wearing her favorite colored dress on, smiled as she fixed her earings. Dad fixed his sleeve from his suit. "Well, looking good you too!" You say placing the tray on top of the stove. The two smiled. "Thank you." They said in unison. "Well we'll be heading out now." Your mom says. You nod, wiping your hands against your apron. The three of you walked out of the kitchen and into the living room. "Okay. And where are you two going?" You ask. "It's a surprise." Dad says giving you a grin. "Okay well, Stay safe. Enjoy. Don't worry about me I'll just be here." You say.

"Oh but sweetie, won't you be lonely?" Your mom asks. You laugh shaking your head. "I'm fine mom. I'm not going anywhere and I'm certainly not leaving here. Besides I'm baking." You reply showing your hands covered in dried flour. "Well, why don't you call someone to come over? We wouldn't want you to be alone." Mom says. "Everyone I know is either busy or out of town." You replied. "What about Josh?" She asks. You blink and your heart skips a beat by his name being mentioned. "I think he's busy. Something about writing a song. But it won't hurt to ask." You replied. Your dad looks at his watch and motions that they have to get going. "Mom, I'll be fine. Really. Enough about me! Go have fun! This is your guys's night, not mine." You say pushing them towards the door. "Oh-okay sweetie." Your mom says as she stepped out the door. "Stay safe!" You and your mom said in unison. You smile at the thought of how well you two thought alike. "Have fun!" You two said again. The two of them walked out the door as you stood holding the front door watching them leave to the car. You then raise a finger, reaching out towards them. "But not too much fun!" You and your dad said at the same time. You shook your head chuckling while you wave goodbye to them and closed the door.

You make your way back to the kitchen returning to your freshly made cinnamon rolls. Again, you smell the wonderful aroma and smiled. You then get back to work, grabbing a few things here and there to finish one last thing to finish the rolls. A sweet and sugary melt to cover the rolls. Melted sugar glaze, to your liking, is your favorite sweet ingredient to finish off the rolls. In this case, it was like the icing on a cake, or a cherry on top of a sundae. You mixed and heated up the sugar, which didn't take long.

Once the sugar glaze was done and ready, you grabbed a small spoon and took a spoonful of the finished product. It was perfect! Sweet and warm just how you liked it. Placing the spoon down, You paused. Something was missing. Or, maybe even someone. Sure you liked the silent house all to yourself but you felt like maybe Joshua would love to be here. Besides, you are missing Joshua a little bit extra tonight and you've only been by yourself for 15 minutes. A little company wouldn't hurt.

You walk towards the living room where your phone laid on the coffee table and grabbed it, texting Josh.

"Hey Joshy. Want to come over?"

He then responds

"Hey baby! Geez, I wish I could but, I'm busy writing this new song I've been coming up with. I'm so sorry."

You weren't going to take no for an answer.

"My parents aren't home."

He quickly replies

"Oh sweet! The house to yourself huh? Nice. Don't open the door to any strangers! Have fun."

You smirked knowing what to say to get him to come over.