Scout's First Birthday

(Amelia's POV)

On the doorstep was a baby. Someone abandoned their baby. There was a note saying, "I hope you can take better care of her than I could. Her name is Kaia Charli Jones. Please don't track me down." We just stood there staring at it for 10 minutes.

Delivery Guy- "I have a delivery for Link."

He ripped us back to reality. I had completely forgotten about the food.

Link cleared his throat and looked up at the delivery guy.

Link- "Yeah. That's me. Uh.....thanks."

He paid him and went back to staring at the child on our doorstep. The delivery guy looked down at the baby and looked at us in confusion. He opened his mouth to say something, but just turned around and left.

Amelia- "Um....what do we.....what should we do."

The air was filled with silence. I hear Scout whine a little bit in Link's arm.

Link- "We need to take it to the hospital and call social services."

Amelia- "Okay. I will call and you can drive."

We were talking really slowly. We're still trying to process what is going on. The drive to the hospital was so quiet. I was on the phone for like 5 minutes then for the other five minutes all that could be heard was Scout's gibberish.

Link- "I can NOT believe this happened."

Amelia- "Me neither. I just can't believe someone could just leave their baby like that. At least she looks healthy."

Link- "Yeah."

We get to the hospital, and make our way up to the peds floor. On our way to the elevator we run into Jo.

Jo- "Did you guys have a secret baby?"

Usually that is something I would laugh at, but I just gave her a weak smile.

Amelia- "We found her on our doorstep. She had been surrendered. We called social services, we are just taking her up to Alex to get her checked out."

Jo- "Wow. I wasn't expecting that. Link, how about you take Scout to daycare, this might take a while. I will accompany Amelia up to the peds floor."

Link- "Okay."

He came over to me and pressed a kiss on top of my head.

Amelia- "I love you. When we get her to Alex, I will text you which room we are in."

Link- "Okay. Love you too."

He takes Scout's stroller and heads up to daycare. Jo and I get into the elevator with Kaia.

Jo- "Are you okay?"

Amelia- "I think so. I am just shocked. I can't believe it."

Jo- "It happens more than it should, but it rarely happens."

Amelia- "I know this must be a sore spot for you. I am really sorry."

Jo- "Don't worry about it! You would think that I am more affected by this than I am, but in all reality, it really doesn't get to me as much anymore. I finally got some closure. I just feel bad for those babies. I just think about the fact that babies are the most likely to get adopted. She will find a good house."

Amelia- "Thank you Jo, that really helps. Her name is Kaia. Such a beautiful name."

Jo- "That is a beautiful name."

We arrive at the peds floor and see Alex at the nurses station handing over a tablet.

Alex- "Who is this little lady?"