Unfavorable Devotion

The sun glistened between the tall, pointed trees; the air was still and refreshing. Standing on the Balcony, David could feel a peace come across him, as he was just able to release his most recent patient.

"Beautiful isn't it?" his mother asked with her hands on his shoulders.

"It is, I have no idea why I barely come out here," he replied.

Standing there for a while longer, David felt a sense of Deja Vu, it was as though he was able to relive gazing into such beautiful scenery. It made him realize that his world was dark for so many years, and he was extremely great full for being able to see colour again.

"Bro, you've been up here for a while, you ok?" his youngest brother Damian called out from behind him.

"Man, it's just so great to be alive, I feel so free." Holding a soft spot in his heart for his brother, Damian smiled and bounced him on his shoulders.

Dinner that night was quiet. Almost everyone recognized that David was having one of his moments.

His mother grew concerned that he may never stop getting flashbacks; he may continue to relive how life was for him and that he may not be able to live freely. His mother sat at the table looking at David; as proud of him as she were of her other two sons. She never looked at him any less and was proud just the same.

The dinner table was so quiet, she could almost feel how tense he was. She breathed a sigh of relief and said, "How's the steak?" trying to clear the air. Just as she thought, David was the first to answer, "Its amazing mom," his brothers then uniquely followed in the same response.

"You know this is the way Dad likes it," David added, then looking down at his plate. His mother stared at him and then looked at Damian and Darryl, knowing very well that their father was not very fond of David.

Suddenly, they were relieved of the tension when David's phone rang. "Excuse me," he said while glancing at his mother.

"Hey Cal," he answered as he pushed the chair from beneath him.

"Oh man, it looks like you're gonna have a new patient," Cal said.

"You're kidding me, I just released Nathan last week; thought I would have gotten more time to work with my long term patients," David pondered.

"Oh well, her injuries are minor, but she's definitely going to need therapy."

"Damn!" David exclaimed. "But how are you otherwise man? Haven't seen you for a few days?" questioned Calvin in concern.

"Well you know, was up and about with Nathan, trying to meet his planned discharge date; but I'm great, can't complain," David insisted.

"Great, well I'll see you Monday," Calvin concluded.

As he hung up the phone and walked back to the table, his mother was the only one still sitting there. Pulling his chair in to sit, his mother asked, "Is everything, okay son?"

"Yea mom, I'm fine, just found out that I might have a new patient," a phased David replied.

"Son, I thought we agreed that you would take a break; you see how hard you worked with Nathan and it caused you to have a lot of flare-ups," his mom explained.

"Mom, you know I enjoy helping people; seeing them recover actually helps my flare-ups," David assured her.

"That may be true, but stress encourages you to worry son, and I don't want you worrying," she persisted.

"I'll be fine mom," he promises, as he gently rests his hands on hers.

Trying to trust in her son's capabilities, she nodded in agreement.

Early Sunday morning when David woke, he could see his father coming in with his black land rover and trail of bodyguards. David starred through the window until his father came out of the vehicle and was greeted by his unpleasant face.

David, who always tried to ignore the tension between him and his father, calmly shut the blinders and went back on his bed.

"Bro, you know dad is back right," Damian notified, while slightly pushing back David's room door."

"Yep, I saw him through the window;" David replied, with an uninterested but bothered look on his face.

"You know, you shouldn't digest anything he tells you, because we're all proud of you, you know," Damian explained while moving closer to the side of David's bed.

"Thanks, bro," replied David while pulling Damian under his arms and rubbing his head. Their conversation lapsed into David explaining why Damian should take school seriously.

Damian said, "Yea school is great and all, but I'm sure a little trouble won't hurt; just look at you!"

"Hey hey hey, I'm serious; be good!" exclaimed David, as he grew serious instantly.

"Alright, alright, I got you, bro," said Damian, realizing that his brother was very serious.

Later that day when David was heading downstairs to grab a drink, he overheard his father telling his mother, "Listen to me, we agreed that David won't take any more patients; why is he telling you about another?"

His mother proclaimed, "Can't you try to trust your son for once; I'm having a hard time too, but trust him with me?" his mother begged.

"Trust him? Trust him? he has brought nothing but shame on this family and is a terrible example to his younger brothers, and you're telling me about trust!" his father outraged, expounded.

"You only focus on the negatives of your son and this boy has been everything but disrespectful to you; when will you let all of this go?" his mother exclaimed. His mother grew furious and walked out of the kitchen, her eyes turned in David's direction as she passed. He could see the pain in his mother's eyes; he knew his mother loved him unconditionally, he couldn't bear to see her like that.

"Mom, mom," David called out as he sped behind her. "Not now son, not now, I need to rest," she turned around gently touching him on his shoulders.

David was tempted to address his father about his unfair judgment but knew it leads to nothing but trouble.

He then proceeded to the kitchen called out to his father, "Dad," took out his drink, and was back on his way.

Unsure if his father had responded; he walked straight back to his room in silence.