The Discovery

"Hey, good morning how are you?" David called out to a peacefully, resting Anna.

"Morning, I'm okay, thank you," she replied.

"Awesome, prepare yourself for a new exercise today; we'll start in about two hours," David guided.

She nodded faintly and said, "Great."

As David approached the door to leave, Annika walked in. "Hey, sis."

David startled, expressed, "You know it's not visiting hours right?

"Oh, I know, Calvin allowed me to come in when I told him that it was something Anna really needed," Annika explained.

"So David how are you?" Annika asked while resting her hands on his shoulders.

David who felt a bit awkward glanced down at her hands, and then over to Anna whose face was filled with confusion. David gently shifted his shoulders and said, "I'm great, just going to get some work done before your sister's session today."

"Well yea you look great," Annika said politely, as she looked up and down his huge muscular frame.

Anna, who seemed bothered by the way her sister was behaving interrupted, "So you got the stuff?"

"Oh, yea here it is," Annika said while digging into a small travel bag.

"Thanks' so much," Anna said softly, as David quietly left the room.

Calvin spot David walking back to his office; "It's crazy how much they look alike."

David turned around in agreement, "I know, it's like they're twins."

"Look, when she came in here strange enough the first person she asked for was you," Calvin expressed.

"Really?" David asked in disbelief.

"She might be into you man; the way her face looked as she spoke, yep it's all there," Calvin expressed.

David laughed, "I don't want to be 'boujie', but you know how I do it," while flicking his shoulders and flexing his muscles.

They laughed loudly and then concluded by Calvin saying, "I'll see you later man."

A few more files to fill and David finds himself conversing with Ella and Marie and Cassy.

"Guys, but seriously, the inter-department photo contest is in about two weeks, any ideas," David continued.

"I was thinking we could all wear purple this year, and emphasize on how royal we are," Ella explained. She continued, "When I think of the PT (Physical Therapy) department, I think about healing and betterment; striving to maintain or more so sustain a better you."

Everyone starred at Ella, their heads shaking in agreement.

"I love it," David said. "Think about a slogan for our caption, I want ideas by at least tomorrow; oh and any ideas for the background of our picture," David asked.

"I was thinking about a huge graffiti designed poster with the word 'Royal' at the center, Cassy said.

"Sounds amazing," exclaimed Marie, "and we can even add a touch of Tiara's, Sceptres, and Crowns."

"Ummm, what do you mean?" Ella asked for clarity.

"I mean, each of us can have one of those, like wear them," Marine continued.

"Girl, you think this is primary school?" Ella chuckled.

David looked over at Ella, "Hey, no idea is a stupid one, I think it's cool; bring all your ideas to me at least by tomorrow guys, we'll vote on them."

They all agreed and was summoned by David's deep, sharp voice to get back to work.

"It hurts when you put my legs like that," Anna whaled.

David immediately changed the angle of her legs and asked, "This way too?"

"No, no, just the other way," Anna fused.

"Ok ok, don't worry, you'll be fine," David assured her.

In an attempt to reach for her phone, her phone fell. David quickly picked it up from the floor and couldn't help but notice her lock screen.

"Boyfriend?" David asked boldly.

"Yea, he is," she smirked with a smile.

"Not that it's any of my business, but how haven't I seen him around here?" David asked.

"Well, he's a gymnast as well but he's away in Germany on a scholarship," Anna gladly explained.

"Wow, a long-distance relationship huh, that must be hard," David uttered.

"Not really, he's the sweetest and I don't ever feel alone," she exaggerated.

An awkward silence then interrupted their conversation and David then proceeded to his office, "I'll be back."

Anna continued glaring down at her smiling boyfriend and smiled. While walking away David thought to himself, "You're such an idiot for thinking she's interested in you, she has a boyfriend!

The thought of it somehow made him so upset, a powerful rage overtook him.

"David," Jasmine called.

"What!" he loudly exclaimed, everyone, looking around startled at him.

Jasmine was a bit shaken up at his response, she froze as though she forgot what she was about to say. Jasmine had never seen him this upset since she came back, she knew it was one of his flare-ups.

David didn't care who heard his aggressively, loud reaction, he continued walking to his office.

Jasmine, then back off and went in the same direction she came; Ella and Marie laughing softly at Jasmine's facial expression.

David sat in the office for at least thirty minutes, pondering on the fact that Anna was taken. He lost all hopes of getting to meet her and making her his someday. Pondering for over twenty-five minutes, David breathed a huge sigh and fixed his face with an ersatz smile.

"I thought you were going to leave me here," Anna chuckled.

"I would never," David said, looking directly into her eyes.

Anna starred back into his, her face neutral.

"You want to call it a day?" David asked.

"But we only did like half of what's planned today," Anna said with concern.

"Its fine, you did so well today, we could work on some other stuff tomorrow," David said quickly.

"Well, oh ok," Anna stammered.

As he helped her up, her legs made a cracking sound.

They both looked down at her leg, Anna's face, unsettled.

David laughed at her face and said, Its just bubbles of air in your joints, maybe you got up too fast."

The way David responded she could tell there was no reason to worry, her face, relaxed again.

As he put her in the wheelchair, Anna recognized that he was not as gentle anymore; she felt as though he was rushing all the things he would usually take his time with. She wondered to herself, what changed? What did she do wrong? All these thoughts flowed through her head as he fixed her in the chair.

When they got back to her room, she realized he didn't even ask how she felt about today's session. Something had to be wrong.

"Well, I'll see you tomorrow, keep good," David said.

"Today's session was short but nice," she said, trying to hint to him that he didn't ask.

David rubbed his hands and stuttered with a smile "Ummm, yea, don't worry we're on target."

Anna chuckled at his attempt to redeem himself and said, "Have a great evening."