11. m a l a i s e

Taking the weekend to just breathe felt right. Necessary. The days were grass-grow slow, slowing down to accommodate the sudden shift.

I sorted through some of the clothes from the suitcases up until Morgan was leaving, and when she said her goodbyes - received as though she was just ducking out for a moment, rather than moving out and away from us for the rest of the academic year -  I offered to carry half of her bags to back to her apartment with her so she didn't have to do two trips. Despite how tired I was still, I was glad to be off campus. The only safe space on campus was my dorm in the Haunt. Thankfully, Morgan's apartment was only a few blocks north of the Academy, one open-plan studio apartment of many in the neighbourhood, and there was no one around whom I recognised.

"As if you even considered moving in with us," I uttered once she confirmed she didn't need a further hand, "when you live here normally."

Morgan shrugged. "It's relatively new, but, like, the novelty of the Haunt was fun to entertain for a bit too."

I pointed out, "But you don't have to share here. Independent."

Morgan shrugged, "I know. But I'm an only child, and I didn't have, like, a flatmate before, so. I wanted to see what sharing like that was like. Besides, I didn't work this hard to get this place and then spend majority of my time not being here."

That shut me up.

"You're definitely leaving the Consort, then?" I forced out.

She nodded. "Definitely leaving the Consort. But fashion design and costume department work together with theatre, and theatre includes the musicians, so... I'll see you around for sure. You're the best piano guy there is, right?"

I snorted. "Right."

"Probably at the Skullduggery ball... Yeah?"

The... what? I raised my brows.

"I betcha your Consort Theatre squad will go all out for that," Morgan grinned, gossip ready.

"I honestly don't know what you're talking about," I frowned, and she laughed until she realised I was serious.

"The Skullduggery ball? Like, this years' Halloween event? Last offical event until Christmas," Morgan tried, and when I gave an unconvincing sound of understanding, she laughed again, "I'm guessing you haven't seen all the posters, like, literally all over campus?"

"Can't say I have," I muttered.

"Thought it'd be right up your alley, a big bash like that. 'Cause, like, Buchanan parties are legendary."

Through Edith's lens, they certainly were. Through the lens of the press, too.

"I'll make sure you're on the guest list for the next one, then."

Morgan rolled her dark eyes. Then they dimmed s she stepped closer to me. "I never got to say it before, but... I'm so sorry about your sister."

It was sincere. But as I was unsure as to what to say to walking with-sympathy cards - thanks? It's fine, that's okay? Me too? - I remained silent, just shook my head.

"You'll be okay, y'know," she offered, when she finally walked me to the door.

I didn't know that. Did she know that, or did she just think I wanted to hear it? There was a line of windows I would see out of over her shoulder. Short shadows; just after midday.

"Don't stop living, okay? But know that you're allowed to, like, look after your mental health, don't push yourself and stuff. Also, consider like, talking to someone. She was your twin sister, and the circumstances are so sudden," Morgan leaned against the doorframe. "And, like...? Talking helps."