College

When I see his face in my new room, I almost drop everything and walk back out, but Wyatt right behind me grows impatient. "Come on, Callie," Wyatt says, nudging me out of the way, carrying the boxes into my room. "It's not so bad." He says, still completely oblivious to the fact that Brandon Foster is standing less than four feet away from him.

It's the first time I've seen Brandon in two years. After all of the fighting over who'd be my legal parents, I just got tired of it and let Robert get what he wanted. He said that I could still talk to the fosters and Jude, but that hurt too much so I just cut myself off from them completely.

A tall, scrawny girl with short hair that is not Lou comes down the hall. "Oh, perfect!" She says happily, and I almost groan at how happy she is. "I've been waiting for you forever! Let me take one of theses for you!"

Since Brandon's in our room, I almost ask her what he's doing here, and I bite my lip to stop myself. Maybe they're dating. I think as I follow her, only to see Wyatt sprawled across my bed. "Took you long enough." Wyatt teases, and looks at my new roommate. "Who's this?" He asks, slightly confused.

"I-uh, I don't even know." I explain, and Wyatt just laughs, shaking his head.

"Yeah, good luck in college life, Callie." I just roll my eyes, ignoring his question.

"I'm Alice," She tells me, looking at Wyatt who is almost asleep. "And I'm guessing that he's your boyfriend?"

"Yeah, that's Wyatt." I tell her, my eyes falling on Brandon again. Has he been working out? Yeah, he's been working out.

"Oh, I was kinda hoping you would be single. Brandon here hasn't had a girlfriend since a girl broke his heart," Alice explains, and it's news to me. I always figured Brandon would end up being with Lou. "Right, Brandon?"

"Yeah, I guess." Brandon says coldly, his eyes meeting mine. Wyatt sits up, his eyes landing on Brandon, and there's an expression on his face that I can't recognize. It's probably anger and confusion.

"Well, Brandon and I have to get going," Alice says happily, grabbing Brandon's arm and drags him out the door. "See you later."

Wyatt watches me, waiting for my response, and when I don't say anything, he sighs. "I don't think either one of us were expecting that."

~~

Groaning, I slam my pencil down onto my textbook angrily, running my fingers through my hair. It's only been the second week of college, and I'm almost ready to drop out of all my classes.

"Don't stress about it, Callie," Alice tells me, giving me a small smile. "You need to take a break. Let's go to a party."

I almost say yes, but then stop myself. Alice brings Brandon with her everywhere, and he's just been a complete asshole over the past two weeks, and I'm almost done with him. "Is Brandon coming with us?" I ask carefully, and Alice just laughs.

"He's not coming with us, but I can't promise that he won't be there. Besides, he'll probably be too drunk to bother you."

It was either study for a few more hours or have the chance to get a break. Even with my past experiences with parties, I don't care right now. It's not like anything bad can happen. "Fine," I say, and she looks at me. "You need to change out of those jeans and what is with that shirt? You've worn it like three times this week."

~~

Walking into the apartment, I'm reminded why I don't like parties and why I never have gone to once in almost three years. They're too much work with too many drunk people to deal with. Alice has already disappeared, and I sigh. Great. No doubt she'll get drunk too.