5. Game Time

Alice and Corey were instantly won over by Toby's charm the minute that they saw him last night. I had no reason to worry that they wouldn't like him. 

I took him for a walk this morning and decided to enjoy the last few days of summer outside by the pool today. I had never had a house with a pool and was very excited to take advantage of it before it got too cold outside.

I spent the afternoon reading in the sun on the lounge chair and hopping in the pool when it got too hot. It was really relaxing, I just wished that I had some friends to hang out with. 

Matt had left earlier today for his soccer practice and was hanging out with friends until his game tonight. His soccer team had their first game of the season tonight that I was planning to go with Alice and Corey. 

Matt also invited me to a party that one of his friends was throwing after the game. I was feeling excited and nervous for the party. I laid outside a little longer, but as it got a bit colder outside, I went back inside to get ready for the game and choose an outfit for the party.

A few hours later, I got out of the car at my new school and followed Alice and Corey to the bleachers surrounding the soccer fields. The stands were already starting to fill up and I was surprised to see so many people at the game even though school hadn't started yet.

I followed my new parents up the stairs where a familiar face had saved us a seat. I could feel a huge smile take over my face when I saw Jane.

"Hello Stone family!" she sang, standing up to hug Alice, Corey and I. "Olivia, it's so great to see you! I'd like you to meet my husband and daughter Isabella."

I introduced myself to Jane's husband and daughter, who was hiding behind her dad. Jane's husband was tall with short hair, I could definitely tell that he was Ryan's dad. Isabella looked shy, but gave me a small wave from behind her dad, she was wearing a bright purple shirt, blue pants and pink shoes. I loved the bright colors of her outfit.

I took a seat between Jane and my Alice, finally looking at the field. Both teams were warming up and running drills on the field, it took me a few seconds to figure out which was Jefferson High, but soon I spotted Matt and Ryan wearing white jerseys. 

"So how's the first week going?" Jane asked us.

"Good!" I said, glanced at Alice and added, "I mean, I think it's going well. I'm still adjusting, I guess. The rest of things arrived yesterday."

"That's great!" she said, patting my knee and pointing towards the field, "Looks like they're starting soon!"

I looked back to the field to see both teams jogging towards the bench. I spotted Matt, Andrew and Ryan grab their water bottles and huddle around their coach. 

Matt must have spotted us in the crowd because I saw him nudge Ryan and nod towards the bleachers. He lifted his hand in a small wave and I could have sworn that we locked eyes, although it was probably just my imagination because of how far away we were.

The game started and our school, who I learned were the Blue Devils, were actually really good. I had no idea that Matt and Ryan were the team captains, but it quickly became apparent why they were; they had scored the majority of the goals and were beating the other team by about ten points. 

I didn't watch a lot of sports back in Chicago, but I was having a lot of fun. I even got into the game and joined Alice and Jane cheering each time Matt and Ryan got the ball.

When the game was over we made our way off of the bleachers and stood by the field, waiting for Matt and Ryan. The huge lights overhead illuminated the bleachers and field, making me forget how late it was for a second.