Chapter Twenty Five

As Rue and I sit by our fire, warming up in the heat of the flames under the bright sky. We made sure that all of the wood was dry and that none of the branches were still alive so that there would be no smoke what-so-ever. The rabbit roasts on a stick over the fire, Rue holds one side of the stick and I hold the other. We figured this way would be easier. We were wrong. First off, it was just hard getting the rabbit on, and now we can't even be one hundred percent sure that it's all cooked on the inside until we take it off of the stick and possibly until we bite into it. But we both figured that it's better overly cooked than raw so we keep on there extra long, the aroma teasing our noses.

"Think it's done yet?" Rue asks greedily, both of our mouths watering, waiting patiently for the such wanted meat. 

I shake my head. "Rue, it's only been like, what? Ten minutes?" But even though that is true, I'm tempted to just rip off a huge chunk and sink my now yellowing teeth into the juicy flesh. Late afternoon yesterday we ran out of food and now I just can't wait to eat. 

Rue licks her lips. "When do you think it'll be cooked by? I think in like ten more minutes, right?" Both of our eyes stay locked on the roasting plump rabbit. Not until now would I imagine having killed a poor innocent animal. The only time that I am around a dead animal is when Katniss brings home a kill and even then I don't go near it until it is cooked or at least thouroughly cleansed. Usually I just sit outisde and milk my goat Lady or play with my scruffy yet adorable cat Buttercup.

Waiting is so very difficult so I try my hardest to take my mind off of the rabbit that is slowly roasting. I think of home, or the Capitol. How I was lit on fire and the necklace that lays around my neck from the interviews that I have continued to forget about. While I am reminicing I come across a thought that frightens me.  What if I die tonight? What if I die in just a few hours, minutes, secounds? My stomach ties itself in tight little knots and I grow very anxious. "So Rue..." I say quietly, trying to take my mind off of things.

"Yeah?" Rue answers, her gaze still on the rabbit.

"What do you want to talk about?" I wonder, trying my hardest to get my mind to change topics but it still stays on the gruesomness of my soon to be death, or my friends and family weeping over my stiff body as it lays there motionless in a wooden box. 

Obviously noticing the sorrowness in my voice, she suggests talking about our brief time in the Capitol which opens up a window of endless talking, in fact, it's more like a huge gate than a small window. We even exceed ten minutes talking and the rabbit begins to sizzle until we realize that it is time to eat.

In return for the delicious rabbit that is now a delicacy to Rue and I, my stomach has stopped growling and for once in a very long time I feel full. Now as we stay here, sitting on the soft ground I begin to feel sleepy which just makes me happy because I know that that means I am filled. As we relax on the cool ground while the air turns crisper and the sun begins to decend behind the pine trees and oaks, Rue and I stay quiet. A soft breeze rushes about us, whispering sweet songs in my ears. Beautiful colors eliminate the darkening sky. And now I appreciate life back in the Seam, knowing that is where I belong, my only safe haven. 

Short yes, quicker upload, yes. Will upload more. I've got my dog under control and my homework all planned out. :)