Season Two: Rebirth

Hayley

Somewhere along the line of convincing the public and our enemies about the loss of our baby, I seemed to have lost myself as well. I feel as though I did lose my little girl who was only a day old. She is now about to be three months old while she is safe... and away from me. Klaus and I are feeling the same way; wanting to act against our enemies but knowing that it isn't the right time yet.

So as I roam these woods as a wolf by the Bayou-the place that I used to live before everything got all out of whack- I got to thinking about how much my life has changed since coming here to the French Quarter here in New Orleans.

For one, I had a baby and lost her within twenty four hours of being born; and though I know she is in safe hands, it still hurts to know that I haven't seen or held her since that very first day. Two, I am now a hybrid just like Klaus. Half vampire, half wolf. It's been a real tough few months but I have some hope that I would see my little girl again. To hold her in my arms, close to my heart where she should be.

Coming up to a trailer, I shifted into my human form and took some clothes off of a clothing line and dressed into a pair of jeans, a t-shirt and a jacket.

Continuing my walk to the Bayou, I see the little cabin that was my home for a short time. Walking towards it trying to get some familiarity back into my life, I looked down to the ground to see a little girls baby doll pushed into the dirt. The doll was dirty and it looked as if it had been in a fire. Probably when the Bayou was attacked... Picking the leaves out of the outfit and hair, I looked at it lovingly as it reminded me of my small, little girl.

The emotions that bombarded me then could have been my undoing but I kept it together the best I could. It's just that it is always too much to handle when I think about her.

"Why couldn't things be simpler?" I asked the silence of the Bayou.

It's peaceful here in the wilderness, by the river. No one hovering around me, no one asking me how I am. Just me, the home of my family, and the silence. The sound of the water moving with the wind was probably what made it more peaceful. I didn't know I missed this place and the sound until just now. I walked towards the cabin still holding the baby doll in my hands and sat on the porch, overlooking the peaceful movements of the river.

Elijah

"Hello?" The strong feminine voice of Camille said into the silence of our home. "Klaus?" Her footsteps echoed around the compound as she made her way to the staircase. Niklaus whooshed away from my sight; perhaps to lay his eyes on Camille.

"Klaus," I heard her say softly.

I have to admit vampire hearing is a God send even though I don't give it enough credit.

Camille climbed the stairs and I made my way the doorway closest to her.

"Klaus, I know you're here somewhere. We need to talk."

"He doesn't wish to see you." I said stepping out of the shadows.

Camille jumped. "Oh, Elijah. Where the hell did you come from?" She asked, the startled look on her face very prominent.

"I beg your pardon? Aren't you the one who is trespassing?" I paused, studying her reaction. "He doesn't care much for conversation these days and he certainly wouldn't care for the fact that you put yourself in danger by coming here." I said to her in a grave tone.

"I'm already in danger. I have Guerrera's following me like it's a police state. The city's being run by gangsters and you guys aren't doing anything about it. Marcel took them out a hundred years ago without any of you. Don't you think he might be up for lending you a hand?"