conversation

"how you talk with your hands
and how you sigh like a movie."— lauv ft. alessia cara, canada

sometimes the times i miss the most are the extremely long conversations we had.

i'd wake up at 8:30 on thursdays (the only day when both of us were free) and brew coffee for him. I didn't like coffee, so i'd drink banana milk or some juice in the fridge.

i'd wake him up then, after breakfast was ready. sometimes if i was lucky he'd be awake before i finished cooking and help me. but most times he was just too tired.

minhyuk was quiet before having anything in his stomach, but once he had a bite of whatever was there, he'd be energized and goofy again. and of course, he'd talk. it wouldn't be minhyuk if he didn't talk so much.

i remember one particular morning when he asked me,

"how many babies would you like to have?"

yes, i remember. i choked on my pancakes. i remember how he laughed and answered first, saying: "i want lots. i don't care if they're boys or girls. i want lots of them...mmm, maybe six?"

i stuffed a whole pancake in his mouth. i thought, does this boy know how morbid that is? how painful it is to birth them and take care of them. and he wants six?!

but minhyuk did love children. whenever i had to babysit my twin baby siblings in town, he'd come with me and keep them company when i got tired. sometimes i watched him, playing with them like a real dad. the twin boys loved him, they absolutely loved him.

i recall going back into the conversation having those thoughts and—i told him, "okay, maybe that's not so bad."

and then he continued to babble and babble, his hands flying in the air and blinking rapidly. i loved seeing him talk. he talked with his hands. and, his eyes were unique. minhyuk's blinks were uneven, but that was another cute thing about him.

now all i can do is reminisce those moments.