43- AA Wreck

Copyright © designschool 2020

All Rights Reserved

"Princess, I've brought lunch!" Brad entered Caroline's office carrying two bags. He had consistently maintained communication, even after Caroline asked to only be friends. "What's wrong?" He dropped the bags on her desk and walked around to place a hand on her shoulder, when he saw that she was crying.

"It's my brother," she whispered between sniffles as she put her phone down. "He was in a wreck and he's in the hospital with serious injuries. He also apparently hit another car and the driver is in a coma."

"Caroline, I'm so sorry." He knelt down in front of her. "What can I do?"

She shook her head. "I...I need to go home... to Atlanta."

"Now? Do you want me to talk to Michael and let him know?" When she nodded, Brad asked, "Is there any work you need to pass off to him?"

She shook her head. "No, there's nothing else that has to be finished today."

"Okay, I'll go talk to him while you gather your things. I'll be right back."

Moments later Brad returned with Michael following. "I'm so sorry Caroline. Don't worry about a thing. And if you need extra time next week, just let me know."

"Thanks, Michael." Caroline sniffed as she stuffed things into her bag to leave.

"I'll check in with you this weekend." Michael said as he left her office.

Brad grabbed Caroline's bag from her shoulder, then lifted her chin so she had to look at him. "Caroline, I'm going to drive you to your place to pack, then we'll run to mine so I can get some things. I'm driving you to Atlanta."

"What? No. There's no reason for you to give up your weekend for me."

"There is, and I will. I'm not taking no for an answer. You're in no condition to drive." He could see her forming words to refuse and he cut her off, "I know we're only friends, but what kind of friend would I be if I let you do this alone. Your parents already have one child to worry about; they don't need another on the road in a panicked state." He pulled her into a hug.

"Okay, you're right, but we're taking my car." Brad agreed and Caroline began to sob into his chest. "I'm sorry," she said as she pulled her head back and looked at him while still crying. "I'm getting makeup on your shirt."

He pulled her head back to his chest. "Princess, it's just a shirt. I don't mind a bit, just let it out."

~~~

"I forgot about my 1 pm meeting with Mason!" Caroline sat up in the car reaching for her phone. Remembering that he had another meeting just before she was supposed to meet with him, she decided to call and tell Megan rather than disturb him. It was noon so she wasn't too late. After talking to Megan and explaining the situation with her brother, she curled up on her side and tried to rest knowing it may very well be a while before she slept again. With her mind racing she didn't think it was possible to sleep, but she had to try. Thirty minutes later she was startled by her phone buzzing and realized she had indeed slept.

"I'm glad you were able to get some rest, Princess. I know it's been a stressful day, and may go well into the night," Brad said as Caroline reached for her phone.

It was a text from Mason.

Mason: I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. I'll be praying. No worries about the meeting.