Chapter 2

Pyra Salazar

I looked at Liam who was sitting beside me. He also looks clueless about what our grandparents wanted to talk about. Lolo seems excited. Lola as well but I can see a glimpse of worry in her eyes.

"Mga mahal kong apo, both of you are 10 years old already and we think it's time you learn the family history" my lolo started speaking and we just sat there amused with what he was talking about.

10 year old children wanted to be a part of the world of fighting. The world of pain. I don't understand it fully at that time. I just wanted to have a non boring life. Ever since my parents died, my world revolved around my grandparents and Liam. I thought I needed a breath of fresh air for a change.

Apparently, our family is one of the founding families of the Underground Society which was sometimes called Tartarus. Salazar's are known for having strength. That strength was never lost since it was passed down from generations to generations. My grandfather wanted us to take that Strength. Liam and I willingly said yes.

They started training us. I took the bow and arrow. Liam was given the samurai sword to master. It was damn hard.

Throughout that training, one thing was on my mind.

Kill the person responsible for my parents death.

"Pyra! Gising na!" and again, I was pulled back to reality. Bakit ba nandito na naman si Liam? I looked at the clock beside my bed and it's still 8 o'clock in the morning. What the fucking hell. Gusto ko pa matulog. I covered myself with my comforter as I tried to drown his annoying voice.

"Pyra! Pyra!" but my fucking cousin still wouldn't stop. This man will obviously be the death of me. Padabog akong bumangon. I moved out of our grandparents' house because I wanted to be left alone. I like being alone, mas simple at tahimik.

I went to the dining area and saw the pancakes that he cooked. Kumulo bigla yung tyan ko sa amoy pa lang. He quickly gave me a hug when he saw me. Sobrang clingy talaga nito. Jusko.

"Sorry kagabi Pyra. May emergency kasi kaya hindi ko na natapos yung laban mo" He said. Yeah, It was very unusual na wala siya dun since overprotective to pag dating sakin.

I nodded and started eating the pancakes that he made. Infairness, masarap din magluto to si Liam. He is a culinary student, after all. Both of his parents are Doctors but he chose to be a Chef. May talent din naman kasi siya sa pagluluto, so why not?

"Excited ka na ba sa new school mo?" He asked jokingly. Yeah, today is my first day at University Of the Philippines. He also goes to that university. Ewan ko ba dito, pilit nang pilit na mag transfer na ko. Bored na bored na daw siya dun.

"Buti talaga napa oo kita. Lakas ko talaga" He said, admiring himself. Akala mo naman talaga. He wasn't the only reason I wanted to transfer.

It was also because of Matthew Silverra, that guy won't stop bugging me whenever I'm in school. He was really known in our University, he obviously got the looks. People will always look at us whenever we're together. One thing I hate the most is attention. I don't want people to talk about me, lalo na yung mga babae ni Silverra na akala mo naman pag ka gaganda. Do they really think that they can hurt me with their annoying glances and murmuring?

I wanted to punch them so hard but hindi naman ako eskandalosa. We were taught to be always decent and calm. We may be known in the Underground Society but we also have a business and surname that we need to protect and value. I don't want to be the one who tarnishes it.

And to add up, Matthew doesn't wear his mask when he's in Tartarus, and people will wonder if I'm Artemis when he is always around me. I don't want that.

I took a bath and prepared myself while Liam was waiting in the sala, I think he's watching spongebob again. Di ba, sobrang childish. I took my bag and walked towards him.

"I'm done. Let's go" I stated. He turned off the tv and took his car keys on the table. I was about to take mine when he spoke.

"Sabay na tayo! First day mo to eh, ako na mag d-drive" my cousin is really something. Kelan ba to mag kaka girlfriend para naman tigilan na ko. Halatang bored na bored sa buhay niya, ako lagi napag ttripan.

"No" gusto ko dalhin yung kotse ko and san ako sasakay mamayang uwian.

"Sige na. Ako na din maghahatid sayo pauwi. Thank you na to sa pag payag mo na mag transfer sa school ko" He can be really persistent and baka malate pa kami so I said yes.

While on the road, I was reminiscing again. I can say that I don't really have friends, only family. The moment that my parents died, I isolated myself and only let my grandparents and Liam in. I hated the feeling of being left behind. I know that if I let people in, it's like I'm accepting the fact that I'll be hurt like that again.

No. That feeling sucked, It was like a void that I can't seem to fill. I know that If I let people in, there can be two outcomes; they fill the void or the void gets deeper. I don't want to risk it.

I looked at the necklace that my lola gave me yesterday, it's really beautiful. It reminds me of my mom. I hid it inside my shirt. I don't really like wearing accessories but this will be an exception.

Liam stopped the car and quickly got out. I didn't notice that we're already in the university. He opened the door for me, Liam is really a gentleman, nag iiba lang talaga yung aura niya pag nasa tartarus na kami. 

As soon as I got out, I saw a familiar face. My whole mood changed when I realized who it was. Bakit nandito to?

There he was, walking towards us with his mischievous smile. Kung minamalas ka nga naman talaga.

Matthew Fucking Silvera.