Chapter 4

I couldn't help but to fidget with the edge of my shorts while we waited. The uniforms themselves were really comfortable. It's my building anxiety that has me squirming in my seat.
 I studied the logo on the front of my shirt to distract myself- the logo of the NPTR. It stood out well against the gray and white stripes of my shirt.

Hints of blue and red popped against the sides of the shirt and a black collar folded neatly around my neck. The shorts were similar, but lacked stripes. My Trainer number was stitched into the front left side of my shorts, as well as on the back of my shirt. 

Seventeen. Could I really be the first number seventeen to make it into the Hall of Champions?
Reyna's registration got processed a bit before mine, so she was number nine for this year's competition. She was staring at Piplup's Pokeball in her hands. Her face was an unreadable mask. 

Similarly, I glanced down at Cyndaquil's Pokeball. I had as much reason to be nervous as Reyna. We would be making our debut shortly. I had no clue how Cyndaquil would react to a crowd this size. 
Reyna and I were simultaneously pulled from our thoughts as one of the workers came to herd us all into a single file line so we could prepare to make our way onto the field when our names were called.

"Hey, isn't that the guy you bumped into earlier?" Reyna's voice caught my attention. I followed her gaze to a familiar black haired, green eyed Trainer.  

"So he's a part of the League this year too, huh?" I mumbled. I watched as he took his place in line. The way he carried himself was so formal, dignified. 

The Chairwoman began calling names. The green eyed Trainer was one of the first to enter the field. Hatsuharu Adachi was his name. It sounded almost familiar. I didn't have time to dwell on that though as the line in front of me was dwindling quickly. Before I knew it, it was my turn to walk out.

I couldn't even squeeze Reyna's hand for reassurance. Due to her last name she was farther back in the line than I was. 

"Trainer number seventeen:- Valerie Evers!" the Chairwoman's voice rang clearly throughout the stadium. 
I felt my body lock up for a split second. Thousands of people filled the seats of the stadium. Thousands more were watching the live broadcast. If I messed up, they would all see it. 
But Lizzy's watching too. A picture of my little sister flashed into my head, handing me my "#1 TRAINER" pin. 
Even as my legs shook slightly, I took a step forward, and then another, and another until I was walking across the turf of the battlefield. Bright lights blinded me momentarily. I heard the roar of the crowd. I saw people holding up signs and banners. My adrenaline began pumping overtime. 
I felt...like a star. All eyes were on me, gauging my talents and wondering if I have what it takes to be the next Champion. I never want to forget this feeling. 

I smiled brightly and waved, turning to view all sides of the stadium. My image flashed across multiple giant flat-screen TVs. Here we go.
I grasped Cyndaquil's Pokeball firmly in my left hand before launching it into the air. "Cyndaquil, come on out!"  The microphone attached to my shirt broadcasted my voice throughout the stadium. 
There was a flash of light as Cyndaquil materialized in front of me. His beady eyes seemed to widen at the mass of people surrounding him. He inched closer to me until he bumped into my legs. I could see him shaking profusely. 

I quickly switched my mic off and bent down to pet him gently. "It's okay." I whispered reassuringly. "I know it's kind of scary, but we'll get used to it together. There's a lot of potential sponsors out there for us to wow. I want them to see how amazing you are buddy, Let's show them some flames."