Chapter Eight - Monster in the Woods

Nova

I am up before the sun. My eyes shoot awake, and I stare up at the dimly light ceiling. A hazy light shines through the wall of windows, and I can see tiny dust particles floating around in the moonlight.

I stand out of bed and make my way to the windows. I can see the same things I saw yesterday. The courtyard, pool, and the other side of the house. The water in the pool looks grey in the moonlight. But there is no figure standing by the rim of the pool anymore. There is just emptiness.

A hard knock comes from the door. I wheel around and brace myself against the glass.

"Who is it?" I yell towards the door.

There is no answer. The door just swings open. Stomping in, Kylo Ren stops in the middle of the room. His helmet is on, and he wears his black pants and shirt again. He is not scarcely dressed like he was last night. He is less distracting this way.

"Come with me," Is all he says. Kylo turns and exits the room.

I push myself away from the wall and follow him down the dark hallway. Kylo stomps angrily ahead of me. Does he always walk this way? It's as if he is perpetually irate. I try to keep up with him, but his long legs walk as fast as I run. I turn to look behind me, expecting there to be stormtroopers tailing me, but all I see is an empty hallway. I stop in my tracks. If I ran now, I could probably make it out the door and to the ship before Kylo realizes Im gone.

I take a step away from where Kylo is headed, fully intending on making a run for it.

"I wouldnt do that if I were you." Kylos voice calls out to me. I freeze and turn around. He stands at the end of the hall, hands down at his side, one holding onto his lightsaber. It was worth a try, but I wouldn't get far at all if he came after me.

I follow after Kylo like a scared puppy. He turns the corner and enters a room off of the main hall. As I enter, I see that the room is a large study. Bookshelves line the walls around the room, and a huge mahogany desk sits by the far wall in front of a window overlooking the forest. Ren sits down in a black leather chair and motions for me to sit across from him on the black leather couch. I make my way over to the couch and slowly lower myself into it. It makes a crunching sound as I sit down. It hasn't been used much.

When I sit, I focus my attention on the wall behind Kylo. Books span the entire surface of the wall, and I notice many titles I recognize, and hundreds of others I don't. The spines of the books are all kinds of colors. There are reds, blues, greens, and yellows. It's the most color I have seen since I came to the First Order.

"So, would you mind explaining to me why we are here?" Kylos metallic voice questions,

"I wouldnt know. You are the one who dragged me here against my will." I accuse. Ren sits back in his chair, spreading his arms over the sides.

"I wouldnt have had to if my men didnt find you here."

"You wouldnt have had to if you just allowed me to complete my mission and get out of here."

"What was your mission?"

"I already told you," I roll my eyes for added effect, "The New Federation sent me to pick up supplies they had left behind." I lie. Suddenly, Kylo Ren jumps out of his seat and slams his hand on the wooden table between us. I jump and pull my legs close to my body out of fear.

"Stop lying to me!" He screams. I almost feel the whole ground shake. Some of the books on the wall wobble in their shelves.

"I am not lying, I swear." My voice cracks out of fear. I try to clear my throat, but the lump remains. How does Kylo do that? He goes from neutral to one hundred in a matter of milliseconds.