Chapter 21

I folded the letter and put it in my bag. I walked down to the tower and entered the building opposite. I remembered the first time Hoppo called me outside and asked me to be a lifeguard, it felt so long ago, but it was only a few months earlier.

I knocked on the door, "come in," he said. I pushed open the door and saw him stand up from his desk. "What are you doing here?" He sounded angry and I understood. "I'm sorry, this will explain everything." I placed the letter on the desk and left. I walked out of the building and down onto the beach, it was nice to sit on the sand one last time.

Hoppo's POV
She placed a folded piece of paper on the desk and walked out. I didn't understand, how was she not in jail? I picked up the paper and started to read. I got halfway through the first paragraph and realised this was something that everyone should hear.

I walked into the tower and called everyone over. Anyone on the beach was listening to the radio. "Verity came into my office a second ago and gave me this." I held up the letter as I heard everyone mumbling about how she wasn't in jail. "I thought everyone should hear what it has to say." I proceeded to read out the whole letter and gradually everyone's views changed. By the end some even had the glint of tears in their eyes. "I knew it!" Jesse shouted. "I knew there was something wrong."
"We never could have guessed it was this."
"She got shot?"
"What about her family?"
"What's going to happen to her now?"
"She still killed someone, she's a murderer!"
Everyone's voices merged and got louder and louder. I saw Jesse walk out of the tower. I wasn't surprised he had always had his suspicions about her yet he was also the closest to her, it was hard for him to see her commit murder and then to know she has been released must be messing with his brain.

Jesse's POV
I didn't know what to think. I had always known something was wrong, but I never expected it to be that. On the other hand she killed someone in cold blood, she stood there and pulled the trigger. I walked out onto the sand to get away from the cacophony of voices inside the tower. I kicked the ground in front of me as I headed towards the south end.

As I got closer to the water I noticed someone sitting on the sand. It was Verity, she was still here. I ran up to her and called out her name, anger courses through my veins. She looked at me, fear in her eyes. "Don't do it." She said. "Don't put yourself through the pain." It was then I realised she was crying, instantly the anger was replaced with concern. "You'll be better off pretending that I was never here. I'm an awful person and I can't undo that." She threw a stone into the water.
"Why would we pretend that you were never here? Because you were here and you still are!" I sat down next to her. "You don't want to leave do you?" She looked at me and then back at the sand. "I don't have a life back in England, this was my last mission and now I'm being put into foster care back over there." She threw another rock into the water. "Do you not have a family?" I asked.
"No, they're all dead. I have nothing." She said standing up.
"Don't go! Everyone wants to help you, we care about you, a lot! If there's anything we can do-" I pleaded, but she just turned around and walked away, disappearing into the busy street.

Verity's POV
I shouldn't have stayed at the beach, it was a mistake. I was better off thinking that they hated me and never wanted to see me again, but I knew that wasn't true. Jesse was angry when he'd walked up to me, but I told him everything.

I headed into the house and saw Mike and Sarah packing everything up. "So when am I leaving for England?" I asked.
"Oh we meant to tell you." Sarah said. "You're not going to England, another mission has come up and we think you will be the best fit. You're flying to Brazil in the morning to infiltrate a drug smuggling ring." I stood still. I was prepared to put this all behind me. I was an awful person and I didn't want to continue. I was ready to start again and now they're taking that away from me. I was sick of it, I was done with it all.

A/N: what's she going to do?