Chapter 2: Unexpected Meeting

POV: Cassie

I wasn't in the mood for talking, although I did nod my head sniffling. Something about his soft British accent struck me, possibly realization? I had no idea. I whipped the tear stains from my cheeks but kept my head down not taking a glance at the mysterious boy. I heard the footsteps come closer and closer to the bench until the tall dark figure sat beside me.

"Yeah, same here." He said sniffling a little. He then buried his face into his hands and I heard the faint sound of crying. Finally, I began to stop thinking about myself and started wondering what had happened to this boy.

"Ar-are you alright?" I asked him in a caring tone. He lifted his face away from his hands and for the first time I saw him. The boy couldn't have been much older than me, but his chestnut brown shaggy hair covered his crying eyes. I took my hand and reached for his hair and gently moving it out of the way, revealing his deep blue orbs. He looked directly at me, not saying a single word, I could see the build up of tears in the corners of his eyes. He shook his head and looked down, his salty tear drops making a puddle on his pants.

"Hey, look at me," I whispered grabbing his hand. Immediately his long fingers intertwined with mine, and for the first time in a long time I felt butterflies flying in every which direction in my stomach, everything in this moment felt good, it felt right. I tilted his head until he looked me straight in the eye, "I'm here to listen if to want me to," I said in a small voice again. He took his other hand that was not holding mine and wiped the liquid from his eyes.

"Al-alright," he moaned in a shaky voice. What ever happened to this guy was really eating at him. I could see the look on his face when he began explaining the horrible news he had been given just an hour ago. It was quite odd how he opened up to me so quickly, but maybe he was feeling how I was, maybe it felt right for him too.

It all came out so fast, how his mother had just been diagnosed with Alzheimer's, how his parents got divorced just a year ago and how he had younger siblings who needed her. And I thought my life was bad? Wow, I definitely regret everything I just said to my mother. How could I possibly be so rude to my mom? I should just be thankful that she is healthy and happy.

"I just can't believe I didn't read the hints! She always forgot those little things she never forgot before! Stuff like phone numbers and directions. I just thought that was part of getting older. It never occurred to me that she might have Alzheimer's! I feel so stupid," he said letting go of my hand and shaking his head in his hands. The crying turned into balling, and being the emotional person I am, I couldn't quite contain myself either.

"Look," I said gently rubbing my hand on his back to comfort him, "this isn't you fault. Something's happen so they can make us better people, the people who we are suppose to be. And that's exactly what is going on here!" The words coming from my mouth sounded intelligent at the time, until I realized that maybe I needed to start taking my own advice. He then removed his hands from his face and looked at me with a little more joy in his beautiful blue eyes.

"Thank you," he tried to say but no words came out.

"You're very welcome," I replied wiping the single tear that raced down his soft cheek. Suddenly he wrapped his muscular arms around me giving me a compassionate hug. It felt good to be wrapped in his arms; I felt a sense of safeness. We hugged for a longer period of time than the usual person would do, but I wasn't complaining.

"I'm Louis by the way," he exclaimed holding his hand out for a shake.

Without hesitation I accepted his shake and responded, "I'm Cassie."

__________________________

Hey everyone :) how ya liking the story so far? Please comment, constructive criticism is good! Tell me how I'm doing :) love you! •Giovanna•