Chapter 3

Vanessa's POV:

I woke up with a massive headache. I leaned over and grabbed some Advil. I put the pills in my mouth and swallowed them with water. Ugh today was going to be a long day. I rolled over and checked the time. 4:51am. Great. I covered myself back up.

My mind wandered. I started think about what had happened between me and Madelaine down on the dock today. And when she came into my room when I was changing. What was that all about? Don't get me wrong I didn't mind but I don't really know where her head is at.

I heard someone from the camper room get out of their bed. I waited a couple seconds and heard their door open. I heard footsteps coming closer to the door but instead they went outside of the cabin. That was weird the campers know they have to tell us before they leave the cabin. I waited a couple seconds to see if they were just getting water from the jug outside.

After a couple minutes I didn't hear anybody. I got up and opened the girls room. I looked around going to Madelaine's bed last. I climbed the ladder and moved the blankets. She was gone. I jumped down the ladder and out the door. Where is she. I put my shoes on and walked around camp searching for Madelaine.

I checked my watch. 7:36am. Wow it had been 3 hours and I didn't notice. I still hadn't found Madelaine. I probably walked in 40 circles of the camp. Maybe she went back to the cabin. I slowly walked up the porch and opened the door to see all the girls except for Madelaine getting ready for the day. I opened my door to see Lili also getting ready.

"Hey have you seen Madelaine?" I asked Lili. She paused and shook her head.

"No sorry not since last night on the way up from your little scandal," Lili laughed. I walked out of the cabin. I walked into the girls room.

"Hey have any of you seen Madelaine?" I asked them. They all shook their heads no. As soon as I was leaving I heard the door to the cabin open. I threw the girls room door open to find Madelaine standing in the doorway with her water bottle in her hand.

"WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN?" I yelled. Madelaine furrowed her eyebrows and brushed past me into her room.

"I was at the nurses office because I had a headache," Madelaine explained. She knows the rules that she has to wake one of us. "I didn't think it would be a big deal," She added. I walked over to her bed and put a hand on her back.

"I was worried about you. I woke up when you left and was looking for you for hours. Next time please wake me and I'll go with you," I said. Madelaine didn't say anything and got ready for breakfast. Why was she being so dry.

"Hey you okay?" I asked. She looked and me and nodded.

"Yeah," Madelaine answered. She grabbed her bucket hat and threw it over her long beautiful red hair. She walked out of the room, purposely hitting my shoulder. I followed her and the rest of the girls out and onto the porch.

Once we got to breakfast Madelaine sat down at one end of the table. I went down and sat next to her moving so that our legs were touching. After everyone was settled Madelaine stood up.

"I'm gonna go get the food," Madelaine said. She walked to the kitchen and grabbed the breakfast and a coffee pot. She went back for mugs and cream and then sat down on the other side of the table. I shot her a confused look. She looked at me but then looked away like nothing happened.

After breakfast we all went back to the cabin to get ready for electives. I was running friendship bracelets. I grabbed my string and scissors then walked out of my room. I heard some of the girls talking so I walked closer to the door. When I heard Madelaine's voice I stopped to listen for a second.