[3/6]

-mature chapter! note; this chapter is heavily edited as of 5/10/2021, and please note that I have aged the characters up for this story (as mentioned in my authors note).

Today, it was visiting day at the camp. Parents, siblings and friends came to see the trainees and give them clothes, food, necessities and gifts. You were on your way to the meeting area with Jean and Marco. Jean was going to meet his mother and you were going to meet your mother as well, along with your brother. Marco's family was busy that weekend and couldn't come, so Marco was just there to accompany his friends.

As you entered the visitors area, you noticed your brother through a window, sitting on a bench outside.

"I'll be back." You told your friends, heading outside.

You opened the door and turned to your right, where your brother sat on the bench alone.

"[B/N]?" You called out his name. He caught sight of you, and plastered a warm smile on his face. He opened up his arms and you ran into them. You held him tightly.

"I missed you." He mumbled.

"Missed you more." You replied, pulling away. You both took a seat on the bench, but you tensed up. "Where's ma?"

Your brother sighed. "She wasn't well enough to come. Mentally, she's never been better. But physically, she's struggling. I don't know if you'll be able to move her in time."

Your chest felt heavy. A voice in the back of your head always reminded you that all your efforts could be for no reason. That you sacrificed a risk-free life, just to end up in death's arms. But you always had hope.

"What is happening, exactly?" You inquired.

"She needs her leg amputated." Your brother explained. "It's to stop the cancer from spreading. If it gets bad enough, she could become severely anemic and pass."

You nodded, understanding the situation. Your brother picked something up from behind him. He handed you a small, wrapped gift.

"From ma." He said.

You took it and embraced it. "Tell her I said thank you, and that I love her and miss her like crazy."

Your brother smiled. "Will do."

Before you parted, you gave him one last hug and a kiss on the cheek.

That night, you decided to give yourself some space and time alone to sort out your thoughts. You sat outside, on your veranda, like usual. You held the perfectly wrapped box in your hands and examined it. It was almost like you were afraid to open it. Having any memory of your mother would make you break down.

You heard a door swing open, and footsteps following it. You looked to see if it was Jean, and luckily, it was. He waved, and you gave him a weak smile. He began making his way to you.

"Hey." He greeted.

"Hey." You muttered, keeping your head down.

Instinctively, you scooted over and made space for Jean. He took a seat and clasped his hands together.

"How'd it go today?" Jean questioned. "You seemed upset earlier."

You nodded. Frankly, you weren't in the mood to talk to Jean - or anyone - about your ill mother.

"Maybe you'll feel better after you talk about it." Jean said sweetly. "I promise I won't tell anyone. I'm just a little concerned about you, that's all."

You shook your head. Jean really did care, because he understood what you were going through. He felt bad he couldn't get a word out of you, but noticed the gift you had in your hand and tried starting another conversation.