three

After a long day of cleaning up cigarette ashes, doing laundry and cooking, I decided to take a walk.

"Where are you going?" Ponyboy asked as I pulled on my coat.

"Out." I replied.

"Alone?"

"Uh-huh."

As I zipped up my boots, I sighed.

"Just don't-," he started, "Don't get too close to the Socs." I rolled my eyes.

"Ponyboy," I assured him, "why would I get close after-"

"Just be safe. Love you." he cut me off, leaving the room.

-

It was chilly out for an August day; 50 degrees maybe. It has just stopped raining, so I was sloshing through puddles the whole way to the park. I took a deep breath through my nose and closed my eyes. I loved the smell of rain.

I walked maybe a mile before it began to get dark. When I was about half way home, the blinding headlights of a blue mustang and the strong, sickening smell of alcohol stopped me.

"Hey, look! It's Sodapop Curtis's sister," the driver slurred, stopping next to me, "Hey, Greaser."

My heart started pumping blood two times faster. They were drunk. I couldn't run; it felt as if my shoes were glued to the pavement.

They got out of their car and walked up to me.

"Hey babe," the other Soc said drunkly, "How's about you come over to our house and we have a little bit of fun?"

"N-no," I stuttered, "I-I'm fourteen."

"Age is only a number, baby," he replied, "Bob, what should we do with this slut?"

I whimpered.

"Oh shut up, you worthless bitch!" Bob yelled, pushing me to the ground where the attempted to remove my clothing.

I tried to scream for help, but since Bob's friend was holding my neck to the ground and crushing my vocal cords, all that came out was air.

They removed my jacket. Bob took out his switchblade and brought it to my wrist.

"N-no..." I cried. Bob slapped me across my face, leaving my cheeks stinging. Hot tears were now silently running down my face.

He forcefully cut my left wrist. I screamed in pain, and I was slapped again. I could feel a lot of blood coming out of the wound; he'd cut it right on the vein.

"How's about we give this slut a reminder that she's a dirty, worthless greaser?"

I looked down; he was now carving 'greaser' right above the deep, massive cut on my vein. Excruciating pain came from my left arm as the room began to spin. I was losing too much blood...

Then I blacked out.