seven

I reached the church on Jay Mountain just as the sun came up. I had no way of knowing what time it was, but I knew the train arrived late because it made an abrupt stop to check the cars.

The church was very old and ominous looking. It looked like it could collapse at any time. I walked over to the broken window and peeked in; I could see the silhouette of Ponyboy sleeping on one of the rotting pews and Johnny smoking on the side.

As quiet as I could, I climbed in through the window. My feet hit the floor with a thud, and Johnny turned around with a horrified look on his face. He dropped his cigarette.

"Oh, Audree," he sighed with relief, walking over to me, "It's just you."

"Yeah, it's just me. You probably wanted Dally." I chuckled. He wrapped his arms around me in a hug.

"No. I'm glad you're here. Being alone with Ponyboy for these past few hours has made me realize something about myself."

Oh, God, I thought to myself, he's not gay is he?

"That I am most definitely not gay." he said with a chuckle. I blushed slightly and giggled; it was like he read my mind.

"Look, Audree, while we're on the topic of relationships," he started. I gulped. "I have to tell you something I've been keeping in for a while now."

"Anything, JohnnyCake." I replied.

"Audree, you're beautiful. I've liked you ever since I first met Ponyboy- and Audree, that's a long time. You're an amazing girl. And I know you probably don't feel the same-"

I cut him off.

"Johnny, I really like you too." I said quietly.

I looked up and he was blushing like crazy. We both say there red-faced and silent for at least 30 seconds.

"You're so cute when you blush." I said, breaking the silence.

"You're so cute all the time.." Johnny replied quietly, looking down at the floor.

Hesitantly, I wrapped my arms around his neck. It took him a few seconds, but he responded by placing his hands softly around my waist. I smiled.

"I love you, Johnny Cade."

Knowing I had to be the on to make the first move if we wanted to get anywhere, I leaned in and put my lips on his. I felt his cheeks get hot, but he kissed back. I closed my eyes to enjoy the feeling of kissing the one I truly love.

"What the Hell, Audree?" I heard Ponyboy yell. Our kiss broke immediately.

"Pony, I-"

"No, save it you little slut! What the Socs said about you was true!" he yelled, throwing piece of wood and the wall. Tears poured down my cheeks.

"Get out! Go away somewhere where you're wanted! That's most certainly not here!"

I jumped through the window, hysteric with tears, and ran down the hill.

I tripped and fell, hitting my head of a rock, blacking out.